Am I overpriced?

Options
stefanboro
stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Just had a call from a guy who is not happy with his current accountant.

He's just set up a limited company recently. Prior to that he was a sole trader. He and his wife are directors and recieve a small salary.

So, for this, I will need to do:

1. CT600
2. x2 SA100's
3. PAYE Year End
4. Company secretarial returns

As a ball park figure I quoted him a price of £45 per month so £540 per year for it all. Knowing what other people charge I think I am still VERY cheap.

He was then adamant that his current accountant is only charging £240 per year. I questioned him to make sure this wasn't the old fee for the sole trader set up and I told him to make sure that price included all of the above returns. He seemed a little bit dissapointed but said that he doesn't mind paying the money as long as he gets peace of mind.

I thought I was offering him a bargain. I know you will always get the £0 "accountant" who your mate down the pub knows but..... well I am questioning myself. Surely my rate was competitive here? Anyone??

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would have charged three times that to be honest, but I'm in South West London.

£240? Jog on..
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    stefanboro wrote: »
    Just had a call from a guy who is not happy with his current accountant.

He was then adamant that his current accountant is only charging £240 per year.

I think you've answered your own question :D
  • stefanboro
    Options
    Thanks guys - I thought I was cheap too but my perception of the market can be blinkered. The North East might be a depressed area but business is business and I know that I need to look at increasing my prices as I expand. But £240??? May as well go back to being a waiter.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question :D

That's exactly what I was thinking; there's a very good reason why his current accountant isn't giving him a good service!

£45pcm is by no means a high price mate. I had a client last year come to me (they have two businesses which trade under the one LTD co. and have joint turnover of about £200k), they were paying their 'qbe' accountant about £500 for the year so when I quoted £1,200 (still very cheap!) they baulked, but decided to give us a go when I pointed out that they hadn't been happy with a £500 service.

18 months later, I'm still their accountant and we have a great working relationship!
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I am based in Lancashire and would have charged in the region of £1,000 plus VAT for services listed. I know its hard when starting as you want to attract new business but its is also important you dont get stuck with too many low fee clients who moan when you start to try and increase your prices.

I would say at that quote you are underselling yourself, we charge min £700 just for Ltd Accs & CT600.

Good Luck
  • stefanboro
    Options
    Guys guys I know I'm cheap - stop kicking me :laugh:

I just could not understand the £240 thing. And as I said, I am looking to increase my prices over the next year.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Forget him. You don't want clients who are price conscious to the point of being ludicrous.
    Everyone else has beaten me to it.

And yes, you're cheap :lol:
  • jamesm96
    Options
    Far too cheap. Sorry... have we covered that? :001_tt2:

Mark Wickersham wrote in one of his pricing books that a client who joins you because of your price will, eventually, also leave you because of your price; there will always be someone willing to do it cheaper! Whereas someone who joins you because of your quality of service will be far more loyal, even if your prices need to go up, because they'll appreciate the value that you bring to their business.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Too cheap! Sorry had that already been mentioned? :001_tongue:

I'd be quoting £650 and I thought I was cheap!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Far too cheap. Sorry... have we covered that? :001_tt2:

Mark Wickersham wrote in one of his pricing books that a client who joins you because of your price will, eventually, also leave you because of your price; there will always be someone willing to do it cheaper! Whereas someone who joins you because of your quality of service will be far more loyal, even if your prices need to go up, because they'll appreciate the value that you bring to their business.

If you've never had a prospect say "ooh, that's a bit more than I was expecting" or "how much?!" then you're probably too cheap. That's the best thing I've taken away from Wickersham's stuff that I've read.

On that note, I'm still probably too cheap, and I'd be in the £900 mark for that job.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    good-cheap-fast-services-20090701-122253.jpg
  • stefanboro
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »

Haha love it. Something that wouldn't look entirely out of place on a business card!
  • jamesm96
    Options
    If you've never had a prospect say "ooh, that's a bit more than I was expecting" or "how much?!" then you're probably too cheap. That's the best thing I've taken away from Wickersham's stuff that I've read.

Or if your lead conversion rate is 100%.
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options

I so love this, thanks for sharing! :)
  • Monsoon
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Or if your lead conversion rate is 100%.

Does anyone ever really truly convert 100% of all those who enquire? Really?
  • Monsoon
    Options
    ademoore wrote: »
    I so love this, thanks for sharing! :)

You're welcome :D
    Newbie Registered Posts: 229 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would have quoted about £750 and i know my fees are very cost effective, I charge for additional work £50 per hour
Privacy Policy