Confidentiality

Options
Chinless Wonder
Chinless Wonder Registered Posts: 61 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi folks

I'm currently working on my Practical Experience Record to submit to CIMA. It's a detailed job-by-job analysis of everything I've done since Uni (accounting or not). The purpose is to demonstrate to CIMA that I have the requisite 36 months practical experience they require to let me in.

So for each job I've held I have to describe what my duties were, what I worked on, what my regular tasks were, what were the outcomes, who did I supervise/ report to etc.

As well as working in a (part-time) employed job, I'm also an AAT MIP.

My question is this: if I describe in depth what I've done in my job OR for a client, if I name the employer/ client, am I breaking client confidentiality in doing so?

EG if I had worked in a company that had experienced severe cashflow problems and I was directly involved in resolving the problem - would I be acting unethically by describing the cashflow problem and how we solved it given that I have named the company in my extended CV?

I don't believe there's any need for me to name any of my MIP clients as what goes on the CV is "self employed" and I can describe the situations that I've worked through with them. Really it's more about my previous employers!

Would be interested to hear thoughts. I've posted this on the CIMA forums too, but they're not quite as active as on here.

Sans Chin.

Comments

• stefanboro
    stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Quick reply - if your main concern is previous employers than I would ask, how did you help with the cashflow situation?

I helped a previous employer through a CVA and I don't hesitate to mention this on my CV as it is a matter of public record.

If it is not a matter of public record then I hold my hands up and say that I can't remember the guidance.
  • hunterhouse
    hunterhouse Registered Posts: 17 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You may wish to consider the following:

Legal Position – this should be easily established from your contract of employment and terms of business/engagement letter. In addition, as an MiP you will be subject to the Data Protection Act.

Ethical Position – this is not so different as regards employment and self employment. Both your employers and clients engage your services in the reasonable expectation that you are sufficiently trustworthy to act for them.

Practicalities – as far as relevance is concerned there is again little difference between the experience gained in employment and self employment. To treat the latter differently to the former - almost as an amorphous mass called “self employment experience” devoid of any meaningful and therefore verifiable detail – risks consigning your experience in this area to the realms of mere unsubstantiated claims.

Contrary to the legal and ethical considerations, it is easier to accept your CV needs to identify your employer and “detail” what you have done during your time with them. Clearly, to not do so would be seen by virtually everyone as unreasonable and you would not expect to be interviewed or offered a position without revealing these details. The point at which these conflicting considerations find peace is what needs to be gauged carefully. That point is where sufficient information is given to inform but not so much that it could be used to the detriment of your employer or client. At this point it is likely you will have the understanding of both the enquirer and your employer/client.

You may be overthinking this however. Your query gives the impression that you are engaged in a self-certifying process. I do not know what CIMA’s experience requirements are as theirs is not a qualification I have ever wanted to acquire. However, it is not unusual for experience to be “logged” along the way (similar to CPD) and signed-off at the time. Even if it is “logged” after a longer period it still requires an employer/mentor/trainer to sign this off. At this point, and assuming you submit to the signatory everything you intend to send with your application for professional membership, the signatory will be able to comment on your proposed submission and the detail therein. It is not unreasonable to assume that, if your experience record is signed-off then there is no harm in submitting it as the basis of your membership application. The same applies to practice clients even if it may be less desirable to ask them for permission to cite.

I hope the above is helpful.

Hunterhouse
  • Chinless Wonder
    Chinless Wonder Registered Posts: 61 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    That is very helpful - much appreciated.

You're right - I am definitely overthinking!!

Again, thanks for your input. Makes perfect sense...

CW
Privacy Policy