ATT to CTA

Thinking about moving onto CTA after the ATT. Iv'e got exams in CT and PT next week for ATT then I'll do the e assess's within around 3 months.

Have started looking ahead at CTA (probably doom me to fail my ATT exams) and am struggling with what the best study options would be. Kaplan have the most accomplished online facility as they provide the same course as on the classroom. BPP only have some courses online, Tolleys are considered the best providers for tax quals due to the quality of the teaching and their notes are supposed to be alot better as the lecturers right them up themselves.

Then there is cost, these exams are not cheap unless you go purely the distance learning route but considering how hard people say they are (many say the hardest in the profession) I don't know if skimping on price is an option.

I have just acquired the advisory individuals module BPP/Kaplan TQT text book, kit and work book all for less than £20 as e copy valid up to Nov 12 exams so may start working on this.

Tolleys seems to have a great forum with loads of technical activity to help you learn so if price wasn't my main focus I would go with Kaplan for the online lectures (as I don't need to travel hours), tolley's for course materials etc via distance learning (to get there course notes, audio visual lectures and online academy access), then maybe a 4 day classroom revision course with tolleys (london) or Kaplan (Bristol).

A side issue is that the main Kaplan tax teacher head of tax for the whole county has just moved to Tolleys!

Dilemma! Any views from you guys you are in a similar position maybe of have been there done that??

Cheers

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I don't know the answer, but as all I have of the ATT is the e-tests to go, and I want to do CTA afterwards, I'd be interested to know.

But having done the ATT tax exams - stop thinking about CTA and get your head in your books!! Good luck in the exams.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I studied CTA with Tolleys and was extremely impressed both with the lecture notes and the quality of their main tutor in particular - Steve Sanders.

I truly believe that however good the notes or online materials are, the quality of the tutoring is key for these exams, and to save a few quid on course costs and not have the best tutors is a risky strategy. You really want to give yourself every advantage.

That said, not all Tolleys tutors are exceptional. I found a few particularly average but luckily, unless things have changed, Steve Sanders ALWAYS teaches the majority of the pre-exam revision courses. I have studied a LOT (AAT, ATT, CTA, ACA, BSC..) and everyone has their favourite tutor or teaching style but this guy is on another level.

Of course it's all much easier now than it was in my day!!

;)
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    I studied CTA with Tolleys and was extremely impressed both with the lecture notes and the quality of their main tutor in particular - Steve Sanders.

I truly believe that however good the notes or online materials are, the quality of the tutoring is key for these exams, and to save a few quid on course costs and not have the best tutors is a risky strategy. You really want to give yourself every advantage.

That said, not all Tolleys tutors are exceptional. I found a few particularly average but luckily, unless things have changed, Steve Sanders ALWAYS teaches the majority of the pre-exam revision courses. I have studied a LOT (AAT, ATT, CTA, ACA, BSC..) and everyone has their favourite tutor or teaching style but this guy is on another level.

Of course it's all much easier now than it was in my day!!

;)

Thanks Dean, very useful and insightful. Steve Sanders does seem to be the main guy as far as I can see. I think you confirmed what was in the back of my head. I might try a more flexible tuition course but will use tolleys notes and attend their revision course. I wonder if Kaplans revision course in Bristol (closer for me) would be comparable, I suppose it's luck of the draw with the teacher.

Cheers
Privacy Policy