Lacking Motivation

anniebabe
anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Morning Guys,
So! I am waiting for my PTX results - hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I have FNST and ICAS to do after that,(FNPF and Budgeting completed) I seem to have lost the motivation to work :( - just cant get myself going.
Any advice? I am supposed to be doing my BTX exam in June - after only 8 weeks study - and only 1 week revision :(
Thanks.

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A kick under the bum?

Treating yourself to something after x amount of hours studying? (fun or tasty rewards.)

Have you got a clear reason for it? Aka very busy time at work or in personal life? Something you should consider as well, because if that's the case it might pay to move your exams a little, rather than trying to force yourself to study.
  • anniebabe
    Hi Rinske - nice to hear from you.
    College have set the dates for the exam - next lesson will be week 4 - leaving only 4 more weeks in class - then its school hols and revision for only 1 week:/ and then the exam is the week after. 14 June. I am seriously considering taking longer and booking the exam externally - I really dont think we have been given enough time to work through the BTX unit.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello anniebabe

How long do your lessons at college last, are they all day or evenings only?

I am due to study BTX and it is has been scheduled with four lessons (day release) and then we are advised to sit the exam within two weeks after the last lesson.

Are you finding BTX heavy going. Is there much overlap with PTX?

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I found there is a fair amount of overlap with PTX, the only thing I struggled with is basis periods. There are a few differences such as CGT has tapered relief and shares are treated differently.

We started BTX in January and the exam isn't until June either. I think our college really stuffed up the timetable we have been having revision sessions since before Easter
  • anniebabe
    Hi Joe
    I am in class 3 hours per week, we are using Osborne(8 chapters) - and have so far only got through 3 Chapters and only 5 - 3 hour classes to go - 1 week revision, havent noticed any overlap yet - but its early days for me. W e havent done losses or base periods yet, just hoping I can get motivated after my ptx exam result turns up.
  • Jo Clark
    Thank you for your views/review of BTX Kat :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Hi Joe
    I am in class 3 hours per week, we are using Osborne(8 chapters) - and have so far only got through 3 Chapters and only 5 - 3 hour classes to go - 1 week revision, havent noticed any overlap yet - but its early days for me. W e havent done losses or base periods yet,

Thank you for your reply anniebabe.

I hope and am sure it will all work out well for you :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • WAD2001
    WAD2001 Registered Posts: 38 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Keep going the finish line is in sight

Im the same only FNST and FNP ICAS half done to go its been a long 3 years from foundation to technician but I will be so proud of myself for all the hard work and time Ive put into it. Ive had the support of great classmates all mums like me trying to keep the house and work going and we seem to keep each others spirits up.

Im now revising for the FNST exam on Thursday so I better get back to it

Good Luck
  • Newts22
    Newts22 Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hey
    I will add that I too found basis periods a bit of a nightmare to get me head round in BTX, and then it wasn't even in my exam lol!
    I found that once BTX was mastered then PTX was pretty easy!
    as its been said many times, get green light revising, and you'll be fine!
    Good luck!
    Newts
    X
  • anniebabe
    Thankyou Newts22 and WAD2001 for the messages - I need a bit of a kick at the moment, I seem to get that way when I am waiting for an exam result.
    Newts - I havent even done basis periods yet! :/ I think that is another problem - I can see in the book how much there is to work through then I look at the calender and start flapping. (ive already done PTX should get my result soon).
    WAD2001 - Good Luck with your FNST exam.
  • Newts22
    Newts22 Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Anniebabe

Yes BTX is a bit daunting, but honestly, if you have mastered PTX, then you will be fine! Basis periods was the only part I struggled with, but got it eventually, there is plenty of help out there!
    Is your tutor helpful? Ive done mine distance learning and passed, so it cant be that bad lol!
    Fingers crossed for a successful PTX result!
    Newts
    x
  • Roro1303
    Roro1303 Registered Posts: 38 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    oh tell me about it! Motivation is what we need

i still have my project, FNST and EXA and currently waiting for my FNPF's result which i am certain it's not going to be a good news but yet can't find the motivation.

cheers
  • Jo Clark
    Hello All

Read the post by stevef in this thread http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?33897-F7-help&p=245435#post245435 post number 29.

I know we are not yet AAT qualified but I found this quite motivational. Hope you do too :)

JC :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

Read the post by stevef in this thread http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?33897-F7-help&p=245435#post245435 post number 29.

I know we are not yet AAT qualified but I found this quite motivational. Hope you do too :)

Hi Jo

I quite agree I read it and it actually made me sit up and look at where I want to go in my career as I am very much the same, stuck in a job with no advancement and been plodding along for the last 10 yrs. AAT is hopefully going to give me the push I need as well as getting married!:laugh:

I would love to do ATT after this but will have to wait and see.

Jan
  • Jo Clark
    janwal wrote: ยป
    Hi Jo

I quite agree I read it and it actually made me sit up and look at where I want to go in my career as I am very much the same, stuck in a job with no advancement and been plodding along for the last 10 yrs. AAT is hopefully going to give me the push I need as well as getting married!:laugh:

I would love to do ATT after this but will have to wait and see.

Jan

Hello Jan

I'm pleased this made you think about your future. I sincerely hope you do continue your studies. I am hoping to continue and study PIIA once I have completed AAT.

When are you getting married and where will you be moving to?

Good luck with everything.

Benjamin Franklin
  • jane
    jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    :001_smile:
    Hello All

Jo, thanks for the link, it really has motivated me. I am a mature student at the tender age of 47, and I am really finding it hard going, and like Steve have been stuck in a rut for years. I am doing the qualification to further myself in my chosen field and to proove a point not only to myself but to others, knowing that I can do this if I put my mind to it. I have one resit so far and that is Fin Performance! I have Fin Statsm credit management and I am half way through the project. I only plan on resitting Fin Per in December as I don't want to put any more of my units in jeapordy. I have decided to do any resits I may have off until after summer, that way I can focus just on the one unit and hopefully pass the next time round. Here's seeing the light at the end of a very long tunnel. I was thinking of doing CIMA after AAT, but will have to wait and see, I might be just about ready for retirement just as I qualify!! LOL :lol:
  • Jo Clark
    jane wrote: ยป
    :001_smile:

Jo, thanks for the link, it really has motivated me. I am a mature student at the tender age of 47, and I am really finding it hard going, and like Steve have been stuck in a rut for years. I am doing the qualification to further myself in my chosen field and to proove a point not only to myself but to others, knowing that I can do this if I put my mind to it. I have one resit so far and that is Fin Performance! I have Fin Statsm credit management and I am half way through the project. I only plan on resitting Fin Per in December as I don't want to put any more of my units in jeapordy. I have decided to do any resits I may have off until after summer, that way I can focus just on the one unit and hopefully pass the next time round. Here's seeing the light at the end of a very long tunnel. I was thinking of doing CIMA after AAT, but will have to wait and see, I might be just about ready for retirement just as I qualify!! LOL :lol:

You are more than welcome Jane. My thanks go to stevef. His post motivated me and made me want to share it in this thread as it seemed rather appropriate :) Hoping it helps/motivates all who read it.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • jane
    jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Yes thanks to Stevef - you are an inspiration - and your shared blog, has not only motivated me but i am sure many many others that read it.

Thanks you
  • anniebabe
    Got my PTX result back this afternoon - and I passed - so hopefully that will spur me on.x
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Congratulations Anniebabe,
    and thanks for your message - great PTX results for us both!
    GP
  • Jo Clark
    Congratulations Anniebabe,
    and thanks for your message - great PTX results for us both!
    GP

Congratulations both :o Hoping I get the same good news in several weeks.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I recieved a competent on PTX today also !

Just got BTX to do and that is everything ticked off..... suppose I best make a start on it really. ( Motivation also at low ebb here, could do with a holiday)

Congratulations to everyone passing their exams today :)
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Well done uknitty - not long to go now!
    I did FNPF on Wednesday, which hopefully, will have been my last exam. So for everyone feeling un-motivated - KEEP GOING! its going to be a long 6 week wait for my results, but already I feel so much more relaxed, and have cleared out loads of old notes, files etc. Just 6 weeks ago, I really hit a "wall" with FNPF, and thought that I would never get my head around those wretched variances. I taught myself a way to remember them, set in a grid, which I would write out before each revision session, and in the exam, slow and long-winded - yes! but that is how I learnt them.
    Good luck everyone,
    GP
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Guinea pig how was your exam? I have got FNPF 28th May and really trying to get my head round the variances and ratios! This will hopefully be my last exam!
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Becky- Just like guinea pig above, I remembered the variances (especially capital) by visualising the diagram. I copied the one in Osborne books. I knew where the 'boxes' to fill, and what the variances were.
Privacy Policy