"Get the job" training dvd's...

Options
MarkT
MarkT Registered Posts: 302
As I am still finding it hard to find actual work, I have been giving some thought to the advertisements that appear (with some frequency) on job boards like Monster, Jobsite and Totaljobs, etc. As is the norm these days, companies have the privilege of asking any potential employee to interview (I'm even talking about those that are offering only a 3 month role) and wonder if these are a worthwhile investment?

I suck at interviewing, and any training, coaching that I have received from agencies etc, seems to fly out my head at the interview - it may be worthwhile at this point to emphasis that it has been about 18 years since I got a job from an interview, the rest has all been me temping and showing an employer that I can do and gaining the jobs.

Will these dvd's work? Does anyone have any books or other helpful advice?

Also, please note that any helpful tip given, I may ask your permission to mention it on a blog post for the AAT in the near future....

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Mark

Sorry to hear that you're struggling to find work, but it's really good that you are taking proactive steps to improve your interview techniques.

I haven't seen or tried the dvds you mention.

Where in Hampshire are you; if you are anywhere near here (Andover/Romsey/Salisbury area) then I'd be happy to do a 'dummy interview' with you to help see where things might be going wrong. There may be other people who could help if you are the other side of the county.

Your post on here is certainly a step in the right direction.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • MarkT
    Options
    anniem wrote: »
    Hi Mark

Sorry to hear that you're struggling to find work, but it's really good that you are taking proactive steps to improve your interview techniques.

I haven't seen or tried the dvds you mention.

Where in Hampshire are you; if you are anywhere near here (Andover/Romsey/Salisbury area) then I'd be happy to do a 'dummy interview' with you to help see where things might be going wrong. There may be other people who could help if you are the other side of the county.

Your post on here is certainly a step in the right direction.

Anna

Hi Anna,

It's possibly not something that you will always see, especially if you're not looking for work or, signed up to a specific website job board. That said, they appear to be in the region of £30 for a set and seeing that I'm in a kind of chicken/egg scenario, was kind of curious.

As for Hampshire, I'm in Basingstoke so, not a million miles from Andover - any help would be appreciated :001_smile:
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Mark

Apologies for not replying sooner; May ended up being busier than anticipated as I was booked for a hip replacement at the end of the month. That was done last week, so I'm now sitting at home with a leg up, trying to get back on track.

How are things going? Have you made any progress on the work front now?

Look forward to hearing your updated news.

Best wishes

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    Options
    I haven't tried the dvds myself, but I would say I'm 18 years old and have had over 20 interviews mostly for temp jobs and got all of them except 3!

The only thing you can do is practise at home, with a friend and research alot! Make sure you are comfortable and not nervous before the interview and just get the other person talking! Practise making conversation in person with friends and them asking you questions (any questions) and try and answer them fully and calmly! You can be yourself with friends and family and thats what employers want to feel from you.

Aslong as you have the relevant experience, a good attitude and memorable personality at the interview then youll stand out. And make sure you have something interesting hobby wise to talk about. People relax and love talking about what they know.

I find it easier to think of interviews as a discussion, any questions you don't know you can learn to divert, and you can answer a question and then put a question on the end so they natter a bit and also give you more information to feed from.

Be yourself and keep trying like you are! Also you can ask for feedback from the interview. Good Luck in your search and don't give up!
  • MarkT
    Options
    Hi Annie,

Its still same old and chin up and smiling - jazz hands and all that :001_smile: I've had a few knocks on the job front interview-wise mostly on the over/under qualified scenario - but one thing that I still cannot overlook is my 100% success rate of failing to turn a job interview into an actual role :lol:

Hope that you can take the time to get recuperated and not fall too far behind with the workload - If you need a free pair of hands with some of the simpler things - give me a shout :wink:
  • MarkT
    Options
    Hi Sasha,

Thanks for the feedback - its a little bit of the opposite for me, but then its a combination of experience that I have combined with my age that means the roles I do get called for are requiring me to go over the years of work and draw comparisons to what I did then as to what I can deliver now - I really wish I'd started out on the AAT 15 year ago when I first set foot into the accounts arena :001_rolleyes:
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    Options
    Well you can always say that everything you've learnt and experienced over the years you've learned the way to do things and the ways not to do things!

Thats one of the best things experience gives you is efficiency as you've seen more mistakes and had tonnes of advice good and bad! You'll always be a benefit because your experience can bring something new!

Best of luck with your next interview :D
Privacy Policy