Worst Client ever !

Options
Haggis
Haggis Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has experience of really bad clients - I have been doing some work for a kitchen fitter for a couple of years now and I always, always have to wait for ages for him to return calls, deliver paperwork and to cap it all have just had his cheque returned for my last payment !
Has anyone any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with these characters or is it just one of the perks of the job !

Comments

• jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    Well, if he's still a profitable client and you don't want to just sack him, maybe try setting expectations as early as possible; write to him the day after his year end to say what records you need and when you need them by, perhaps stating that his fee will increase by a certain amount if he doesn't get you the records by that date, and also explaining what the penalties from HMRC / CH will be if they're later than the statutory deadlines.

I'd also get him to pay you up-front by Standing Order.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Haggis wrote: »
    Has anyone any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with these characters

Try the Order of the Boot.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Sounds familiar. If you have to wait for paperwork then that is up to him really - chasing is part of the job with some clients. However, I would consider telling him that there has been a change in your policies and you now take half the bill upfront!
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Don't submit the return until payment has cleared... that way you know you may be waiting a while but you'll have it in time to pay your tax :)
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I never submit a Tax Return until payment is received!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks to you all, some brilliant ideas !:001_smile:
Privacy Policy