What An ti vi ru s do you use?

Options
Yazi
Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hello.

Hope you all had a good bank holiday!

Our Norton AV is due for renewal in a few weeks.

Just wondered what you use and whether you recommend it.

Anyone tried Kaspersky?

Thanks
Yazi

ps....seems that an ti vi ru s is a bad word......gets all starred out!!

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I've been using AVG Free Edition for the past five years with no problems. :thumbup1:

I have also always used the free AVG and it seems to be ok. Tried Norton once and it crashed my computer.

Jan
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I use AVG free as well but I know it gets upset if you try and put it on a work pc but a home one is no problem.
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I like Mcafee except for when its near renewal time they seem to block out any editing features of the software that allow you to add or remove safe programs. Never pay renewal price they always haggle or last year brought it new from Costco for not much at all.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I've been using AVG for twelve years, the full version on my laptop, the free app on my tablet plus the free version on my netbook. All run fine apart from the latter: if you have a single core netbook with only 1gb of RAM, I'd steer clear of AVG. It's just too resource hungry and can tie up the machine for bloody ages while it's busy updating itself.

I've recently upgraded the memory in my netbook and even with 2gb RAM, AVG is horrendous: IMO, it depends on the makeup of your machine. If it has plenty of power and RAM, go for it. If not, avoid it.

I haven't yet tried it but Microsoft Security Essentials is often touted as a low resource alternative.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

I haven't yet tried it but Microsoft Security Essentials is often touted as a low resource alternative.

I shifted to MSE after having some problems with AVG, the low resource requirements were another reason. Not had any problems with it at all. But the problem is you often don't, until the next batch of sneaky v i r u s e s come along.
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I use A V G 2011 free, have used avg for a number of years, never any issues for me! :)
Privacy Policy