ICAS Project

Options
jane
jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
:huh:

Hi everyone

Was just wondering if someone could help me. I have just done the main body of my report and check my number of words. I took a word count from Terms of reference and have a total o 4265 words.
I am under the impression that you are allowed 10% more or less of 4000 words, am I correct in making this assumption???
I am just about to start on the appendices!!! I am so fed up with this now I just want it to be finished.
I am so hoping I don't have to loose any words, because I don't know where to cut back.

I would be grateful for any input from you guys :lol:

Jane

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My project was massively over the word count on the first draft (I mean 6000 words plus !) My personal feeling is it is better to have too much than too little as a tutor can easily tell you what to cut out or edit down, but they can't tell you what to write to increase the word count !

On the advice of my tutor I ended up moving the whole cost/benefit analysis section to an appendix and just referencing the main findings in the main body of report (e.g. if we spend Β£2k X we will save Β£5k over a 12 month period - please see appendix Y for costing details)

I think I still ended up with 5000 words in my final draft. My tutor made reference to this when marking off my project as competent - I think it said something like "Report is in excess of word count required, but as all information is relevant this is acceptable"

So, well done you on getting your project (nearly) finished. I'd get it uploaded, wait for your feedback and maybe you will have to do some small edits. If you do - then your tutor should highlight the areas to cut back. It probably won't be too painful as it sounds like you have done all the hard work :)
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hi

fantastic job you are nearly done... all your hard work done and imagine how thrilled you will feel when you get it in and completed.

like uknitty I had a massive amount of words in my project when I had first written it.
    I think 8000 something like that.

I agree that more words is better as you can always cut things out. A lot of mine ended up in sections of the appendices.

I certainly put Cost/Benefit like uknitty in the appendices and also parts of the other sections which obviously needed to be in there for the evaluation but really didnt need to be in the body of the report.

Got it down to 4300 words or something like that and all passed.

So good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Blimey! Everyone seems to get so many words!

Did you all do work plac or case study reports?
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Any tips for the cost benefit analysis? I seem to be coming up blank on this part of the report. :(
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Sarah I did the case study. There are loads of potential areas to write about in that !

Louise -Cost benefit analysis was the area that I struggled with most as well. Only advice I can give is start by chosing just one recommendation from your improvement section. If you have identified the improvement you should also have identified what the potential for fraud is associated with that.

What is the weakness
    What is the impact of this weakness on the business
    How can I improve this.
    What would be the cost of the improvement.
    How much money would I save when the new system is in place.

Maybe try writing out what happens in the system at present on the top half of a piece of paper, and then what will happen after on the bottom.

Consider how much time could be saved (time is money so effectively wages bills will fall if staff are working more effectively - there will be less overtime required for starters !), how much money could be saved through more accurate working.
  • jane
    Options
    Thanks guys for your replies, I have submitted it now, so now its the waiting game to see if it will get pulled to pieces!! :).
    Good luck to everyone that have just started it, once you get into it, the words will just flow, you will see.

Jane :)
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Uknitty, thanks for that its given me some ideas!

I think its just wrapping my head around making numbers from thin air that is proving difficult. Plus its also having the time to sit down and work through it.

Did you do a cost benefit analysis for software packages too?
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Louise89 wrote: Β»

I think its just wrapping my head around making numbers from thin air that is proving difficult. Plus its also having the time to sit down and work through it.

I did some research on figures for costings and, although a lot of my benefits were intangible, I was able to quantify some savings. I made the point in my report that a further study be carried out as to the exact costings.

HTH
  • mano
    mano Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I was doing the mapping but I am stuk on this
    Explain the effect on users of changes to accounting systems caused by
    β€’ external regulations
    β€’ organisational policies and procedures.

did not cover in my report :ohmy:
    any advice please?
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Hi mano,

I got a bit stuck on it too but I think it may follow from your description of external regulations and internal policies affecting the company and how a change will have to be communicated to staff or specific training organised to keep staff up to date (think of a change of VAT rate or introduction of new accounting standards).

I found the mapping was one of the hardest part of my project, but it's a good way to check you have covered all the main points!

I hope this helps, maybe others would have different ideas though!
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I'm currently on around 2000 words and around half way through what I think I need to write so going well so far!

Hopefully get a draft completed by the end of the week to send off to try to get some feedback :)
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    As an assessor for this unit, I am usually happy to accept reports that exceed the 4,000 word count so long as every word is relevant - I always tell my students that I don't want a report that tells me everything about everyone (I could always read the case study for that!).

As someone here says, sometimes you will find that you can dispense with whole blocks by moving them to the Appendices, but you can also make sure that you proof-read your work to eliminate repetition and contradiction - it's amazing how many people say something on page 1 and then, 3 pages later, say the exact opposite!
  • jane
    Options
    One happy chappy :)

Just got my competant mark for ICAS - so so so happy now.
    Next stop Financial statements [GULP!!] - not confidant at all, followed by credit management that I just started today and the exam is the begining of July.
    Then FP resit which I will probably do in December.

Thank you all for your feedback to this thread, very much appreciated
    :):)
  • Chelle
    Chelle Registered Posts: 163 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Wow you done really well then if you only needed to submit it the once?

I used all my 5 submissions up but then I think our tutor was being very very thorough and picky with it!
  • jane
    Options
    Hi Chelle

Er no, it was actually my 3rd submission. I ain't that good, and I don't think one submission is allowed. Like you my tutor was exceptionally picky, but am grateful now that it is out of the way.
  • Chelle
    Chelle Registered Posts: 163 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I know others that have only done 1 submission and passed but hey ho, who cares we have it out the way now :001_smile:
  • jane
    Options
    :):) absolutely.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    My tutor has added this to my uploaded report, 'your report now shows clear competence for this unit'.
    Does this mean it has been passed by my tutor and has to be externally verified, still showing as submission 2 (Awaiting Mark)
  • jane
    Options
    :lol: Hi

Sounds to me that it just needs veryfying. Well done :thumbup1:.
    Mine took about 3 days to show at competant on My AAT.
    Good feeling to have another one behind you :laugh:
    J
  • katsutlieff
    Options
    Thanks Jane,

I'm already checking MyAat every hour for my FNPf result I'll not be off it at all now
  • jane
    Options
    :lol:
    Lol, you do make me laugh, only because I do exactly the same thing. Once I've done an exam I just can't help myself :)

Again very well done, and fingers crossed for FNP result, that one I have to resit! Hopefully next time I will get a good result.

J:thumbup1:
  • katsutlieff
    Options
    I must have checked it ten times already this morning :blushing:
Privacy Policy