Backup software

Options
jilt
jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi all, does anyone use any backup software rather than just backing up manually?

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    We use Microsoft Data Protection Manager. It will be excessive for many peoples needs, but it backs up any changes every 2 hours to hard drive, then each night backs up to tape.

For smaller companies I'd be tempted to look at cloud type services like Monsoon was talking about in the IT thread.
  • jilt
    Options
    Cheers PG I'll have a look at that thread
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    Yeah I'd second that. Ours isn't cloud but it is remote and (despite my other frustrations with our IT support) it's pretty good. The first backup takes a fair while by thereafter it's only backing up the changes that have been made so it's a pretty minimal amount of data being transferred each night.

Ours keeps various versions of each file too, so if we muck up something in a file on Monday and don't realise until Friday (by which time the changes in that file have been backed-up four times!) they can still restore the old version.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Ours isn't cloud but it is remote

Whats the difference? :D
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i use idrive... costs just under ยฃ20 a month for 100GB. I have needed to restore files from it a couple of times and it was pretty simple to do so - i think it keeps the last 5 versions of each file
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    just to add - it looks like idrive is only $9.95 per month for 100GB if you've only got one computer to back up
  • jilt
    Options
    I've been using dropbox and synctoy and wondered whether I needed to change it.
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I use SugarSync and also I have Norton Backup all on the cloud.

I did have Mozy but changed to SugarSync as I can view my files anywhere ipad, iPhone, my other PC, really useful.
  • LynWest
    LynWest Registered Posts: 122 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    interesting thread, i'm using Mozy Pro as i got for the first 12 months with the companies bank account but SugarSync sounds good if i see it on ipad etc. Will definately look into, thanks
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Options
    my issue with cloud is that i has control over your data, so if you ever any disagreements with the provider they have the power of access to your data..............
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I use both online backup and copy to external hard drive.

Have been through a complete system failure twice in the last 6 months, different causes, but both a pain in the neck. I did have a problem with my online backup provider the first time. They'd pulled the plug 2 weeks earlier without notifying me, but my files were still being backed up, and the company did let me retrieve them. I changed providers, though.

I use Carbonite Home & Home Office now, http://www.carbonite.com/en/home/online-backup which is only around ยฃ40 per year for unlimited data files. You can access on any computer, and they do mobile apps too. I had to do a complete restore, which took 2 days (including all my music, photos and videos), but you can choose which files to restore first, so I was working again quite quickly.

One thing I learned is that Outlook files are different to other MS Office files, so don't assume that your email history and contact data are being safely backed up with everything else.
Privacy Policy