Work Experience wanted

Sam22Sam22 Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 117
Hello,

I am trying to find some work experience as I am currently not employed in a finance related role.

I have been applying for work however a lot of the time I am not getting anywhere due to my lack of experience. I have just completed my Level 2 Certificate and have gained excellent results in all assignments which my tutor is sending me a review of and passed all CBA's first time with no problems. However this doesn't seem to count for much when applying for work as everyone is looking for experienced candidates.

I am currently living in Medway, Kent and I am able to travel.

If anyone can offer me anything please private message me to discuss futher.

Thank you.

Comments

  • Diddy MauDiddy Mau Well-Known Registered Posts: 238
    Hello Sam

    First of all, congratulations on passing your level 2.
    the best way to gain experience, I would say is to volunteer at a charity in your spare time.
    This will allow you to gain experience in the 'real world' and show potential employers that you are willing to further your knowledge in your spare time.

    Good luck in the future
  • Sam22Sam22 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 117
    Thank you.
    I will look into this.
  • spicetheicespicetheice Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    Sam22 wrote: »
    Hello,

    I am trying to find some work experience as I am currently not employed in a finance related role.

    I have been applying for work however a lot of the time I am not getting anywhere due to my lack of experience. I have just completed my Level 2 Certificate and have gained excellent results in all assignments which my tutor is sending me a review of and passed all CBA's first time with no problems. However this doesn't seem to count for much when applying for work as everyone is looking for experienced candidates.

    I am currently living in Medway, Kent and I am able to travel.

    If anyone can offer me anything please private message me to discuss futher.

    Thank you.

    Sam, first of all you need to throw away the notion that you do not have any experience. Every person has got experience in one way or the other. In your case, you have theoritical experience and lack practical exposure. Volunteering is definitely is a good option to build your rep. At the same time, evaluate, at what level you would want to start your career in accounting or finance. Once you have done this, find out if there are jobs available for freshers in your city. If this does not help, then take up an accounting or finance job in a small firm to start off with. Small firms will give you a lot of exposure and experience in a variety of accounting techniques which might take years to learn if you work for a big firm. These skills will help you in adding value to your profile or resume when you want to shift to a bigger company. The pay might be less at the outset but trust me, it balances off with the tremendous learning curve you get.

    Also, have you optimized your resume? Does it really show off the best aspects of your knowledge? Most people normally tend to overlook their resumes and hence fail to catch the attention of recruiters. I came across this handy article on resume writing while searching the other day. Hopefully it should help you. http://www.courseking.in/career-management/career-advice-and-tips/top-10-tips-for-writing-a-successful-cv/

    Its important to understand that correctly portraying what you have learnt is the key to getting the right job. Its all about marketing yourself. Some people are born geniuses while some have to work for it. Either way, its a habit you can cultivate as well.
  • tink1382tink1382 New Member Registered Posts: 8
    i am quite new to the forums having done my first post only yesterday. I am half way through doing my level three and like Sam22 would love to start working in the accounting field. I live in Nottingham and currently work part time at a library which i enjoy but which isn't related to accountancy in any way. I would love to get a part time accountancy related position to run alongside my library job. I dont know where to start looking! The volunteer route sounds sensible. Is that the way to get into it? I just really have no clue how one begins the journey from study to job at all especially whilst still in the middle of the courses. How much knowledge should i gain before attempting it as paid work? What kinds of places want AAT students?
    All wisdom gratefully received ;)
  • Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,526
    Sam22 wrote: »
    Hello,

    I am trying to find some work experience as I am currently not employed in a finance related role.

    I have been applying for work however a lot of the time I am not getting anywhere due to my lack of experience. I have just completed my Level 2 Certificate and have gained excellent results in all assignments which my tutor is sending me a review of and passed all CBA's first time with no problems. However this doesn't seem to count for much when applying for work as everyone is looking for experienced candidates.

    I am currently living in Medway, Kent and I am able to travel.

    If anyone can offer me anything please private message me to discuss futher.

    Thank you.


    Hello Sam

    Any luck with this yet? I have checked out a volunteering website and there is nothing at the moment that I can put myself forward for.


    JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • SashaDellaSashaDella Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 362
    Your probably best off looking for training jobs or apprenticeships? LOADS of places want students that do this sort of work but not a lot of people know what the AAT is. I found my job advertised for a student to study business and accounting something or other,, and i came to the interview and sold the AAT to them instead!

    Just saying don't write off an opportunity its always worth applying, even just for feedback, interview practice etc! Good Luck though :D
  • Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,526
    SashaDella wrote: »
    Your probably best off looking for training jobs or apprenticeships? LOADS of places want students that do this sort of work but not a lot of people know what the AAT is. I found my job advertised for a student to study business and accounting something or other,, and i came to the interview and sold the AAT to them instead!

    Just saying don't write off an opportunity its always worth applying, even just for feedback, interview practice etc! Good Luck though :D


    Hello

    You have made some good points. I have a job as an auditor which I love, however I was hoping to build up my experience to enable me to apply for membership of the AAT.


    JC :)
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • YunYun Feels At Home Registered Posts: 25
    Sam, first of all you need to throw away the notion that you do not have any experience. Every person has got experience in one way or the other. In your case, you have theoritical experience and lack practical exposure. Volunteering is definitely is a good option to build your rep. At the same time, evaluate, at what level you would want to start your career in accounting or finance. Once you have done this, find out if there are jobs available for freshers in your city. If this does not help, then take up an accounting or finance job in a small firm to start off with. Small firms will give you a lot of exposure and experience in a variety of accounting techniques which might take years to learn if you work for a big firm. These skills will help you in adding value to your profile or resume when you want to shift to a bigger company. The pay might be less at the outset but trust me, it balances off with the tremendous learning curve you get.

    Also, have you optimized your resume? Does it really show off the best aspects of your knowledge? Most people normally tend to overlook their resumes and hence fail to catch the attention of recruiters. I came across this handy article on resume writing while searching the other day. Hopefully it should help you. http://www.courseking.in/career-management/career-advice-and-tips/top-10-tips-for-writing-a-successful-cv/

    Its important to understand that correctly portraying what you have learnt is the key to getting the right job. Its all about marketing yourself. Some people are born geniuses while some have to work for it. Either way, its a habit you can cultivate as well.

    I like it when you said ''Its important to understand that correctly portraying what you have learnt is the key to getting the right job. Its all about marketing yourself.''. It's so true.
  • YunYun Feels At Home Registered Posts: 25
    tink1382 wrote: »
    i am quite new to the forums having done my first post only yesterday. I am half way through doing my level three and like Sam22 would love to start working in the accounting field. I live in Nottingham and currently work part time at a library which i enjoy but which isn't related to accountancy in any way. I would love to get a part time accountancy related position to run alongside my library job. I dont know where to start looking! The volunteer route sounds sensible. Is that the way to get into it? I just really have no clue how one begins the journey from study to job at all especially whilst still in the middle of the courses. How much knowledge should i gain before attempting it as paid work? What kinds of places want AAT students?
    All wisdom gratefully received ;)

    You can study AAT via distance learning, so you can fit your home studies around your future job. I started my AAT in April and job hunting in May. My new job in accounting field starts in July! So pleased that I chose the distance learning. :001_smile:
  • Sam22Sam22 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 117
    Jo Clark,

    Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been with out internet for a few weeks.

    I still havn't had any luck, however I've had to stop looking for a few weeks because of current working schedule.

    Thanks for everyone's advice on here!!
  • TurricanTurrican New Member Registered Posts: 7
    It might be hard, but working for free just to get the experience can really help you get out of the catch 22.

    No one will give you a job because you don't have work experience.
    You can't get work experience without a job.

    Try and work for free for 6 months while doing a basic job that pays you enough to survive. Then when you go for real interviews, tell the people interviewing you that you get paid in your current position. Otherwise they won't want to pay you either!
  • Sam22Sam22 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 117
    I am currently employed and I'm lucky enough that my working hours vary a great deal and unless I'm travelling (I'm a musican) I work until lunch time which allows me plenty of time to go out and get some work experience. I've explained to the firms I've been in touch with that I am not expecting to be paid and that I literally want the opportunity to shadow an employee a few times a week to build up my practical experience whilst I carry on with my studies. They all relpy saying they aren't currently offering work experience.

    I've also looked into volunteering for a charity but again there is nothing at the moment.

    Its a long hard slog, but I will keep trying. I'm sure eventually I will land something!
Sign In or Register to comment.