New Opprotunity, what to do?

Melody87Melody87 Feels At HomeChesterfieldPosts: 44Registered
Hi everyone,

I had a job offer last night from an accountancy practice. It's less money to start but my longterm goal is to run my own practice and work for myself so I thought the experience would be invaluble and it's probably worth it!

The spanner in the works though is that they will pay for any further studies I want to do and as an ACCA approved employer that is what most of their staff do. (I am a couple of months away from finishing AAT)
I must say that ATT appeals to me more than ACCA partly because of the huge workload for ACCA and the fact that I'm not sure it will give me that much advantage in the path I want to take. But, it's free so should I just do it? Or do I ask to do ATT instead?

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything really specific to me!
Thanks
Mel x

Comments

• coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Posts: 794Registered
    Bear in mind that if you do ACCA then it's much more difficult to set up in practice on your own, if that is your ultimate aim and you're 100% sure about that then probably ACCA isn't for you. That said though who knows where you could be in 10-15 years time, you could do ACCA, stay with the firm and eventually become a partner.
  • SarahJSSarahJS Trusted Regular Posts: 272Registered
    First of all congratulations on the offer :)

Unless there is something in the offer, or discussions specifically mentioned ACCA then I can't see any harm in mentioning a specific interest in tax and asking about the possibility of ATT. I wouldn't bring up the fact you want to set up your own practice though!
  • NeilHNeilH Trusted Regular Posts: 534Registered
    coojee wrote: »
    Bear in mind that if you do ACCA then it's much more difficult to set up in practice on your own, if that is your ultimate aim and you're 100% sure about that then probably ACCA isn't for you. That said though who knows where you could be in 10-15 years time, you could do ACCA, stay with the firm and eventually become a partner.

coojee is right, ACCA do have some specific rules for members in practice - that being that you must hold their ACCA practicing certificate. For this certificate you would need three years with an approved employer, two of which must be after you become a member = so basically another two years after you qualify.

However, you will be working for an approved employer and practices often appreciate that working towards a practicing certificate is necessary for accountants working in practice, even if they aren't self employed yet.

Neil
  • Melody87Melody87 Feels At Home ChesterfieldPosts: 44Registered
    Thanks for the advice.
    There is already one accountant there who has chosen to do ATT over ACCA and I did mention in the interveiw when asked about further studies that I was keen on ATT so I don't think it would be a problem to do that instead.

I don't think I want to wait quite that long to work for myself Neil :) What is the ATT course like to study? I get the impression that it's set out in much the same way as AAT?

I'll not tell them that I want to work for myself ;)