Job in practice

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I have finally found a job in practice but only as an assistant administrator rather than an accountant. I start a week on Monday. This has really given me the motivation back to study ACCA again and I have started to look at the books and I may just do the exam on the 12th as I have paid for it.

I wondered if I should ask them if I can try doing accounts work for there clients. If so how long do you think I should leave it. I am hoping that very soon they will offer to pay my study if I can move into doing accounts for clients.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Congratulations Glynis!

I would wait until you have a review of your current role. During your review you may find that there is a chance to discuss training needs and progression and you could raise that you would like to move into accounting then.

Good luck with the exams, you may as well sit them as you have paid for them.

Keep us posted with your progress in the new job.

Have a lovely long weekend.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Glynis
    Aww thank you Jo Clark. It's not my ideal job but at least it is permanent and more secure than the agency contracts.
    My husband does not want me to do the exams but I have paid for them and I cannot get the money back even after I threatened to sue the ACCA if they didn't refund me.
    I will see how it goes and then ask if I can do some accounts work.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Congratulations Glynis!

I agree with Jo - wait until your appraisal meeting and raise it then.

Good luck.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Firstly congratulations on getting the job in practice. I know how much this means to you.

I would be very very cautious about asking about undertaking any accounting duties outside your specified job role - remember what happened when you approached the auditors and asked to help out ?

Best advice I can give is to outperform in your specified job role by 110%. Get your head down and do the work that is asked of you (even if you would really rather have chance to get more involved with the accounts side of things) If you can demonstrate that you consistently produce good work, to targets and to deadlines then in time you may well be offered opportunity to become involved with project work.
  • Glynis
    Thank you both for your advices. I'll be working for two of the partners and one of them is the audit partner. She is only a young girl and deals with a lot of audits so I thought she might need help at some stage. I thought it might make me come across in a positive manner perhaps.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    She is only a young girl and deals with a lot of audits so I thought she might need help at some stage.

Protip.

Don't refer to your direct manager as a "girl".
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    First of all well done on getting the job!

In terms of taking the ACCA exam, personally I wouldn't risk it. If I've worked it out right you would need a day off the day after you start. A new job probably wouldn't like you taking annual leave at such short notice, and if the exam was mentioned to them they might reasonably expect you to pass. If you still want to do ACCA when the next sitting comes around and you've prepared properly I would give it a go then.

As far as offering to do more accounts, I'd recommend seeing exactly what your job involves first, and prove that you can do a good job at doing what you're asked. If you make a good impression the firm would be more likely to consider moving you to accounts.

And as above don't call the partner a girl! Even if she is VERY young she is still your employer!

Good luck!
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    In terms of taking the ACCA exam, personally I wouldn't risk it. If I've worked it out right you would need a day off the day after you start. A new job probably wouldn't like you taking annual leave at such short notice, and if the exam was mentioned to them they might reasonably expect you to pass. If you still want to do ACCA when the next sitting comes around and you've prepared properly I would give it a go then.

Very good point Sarah.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well done Glynis, glad to see such a positive comment from yourself this time!

As for the exam, I wouldn't go for it, you'll get a lot of new stuff in your job, even if it's not the perfect job and to add your study on top of it, might be a lot of pressure in a very short time. And as above mentioned about needing a day off, you might be better off just sitting this one out.

As for the job, perform it well and if asked, do any extra duties, volunteer for any extra's you can find the time to do for and just shine! Once you've proven you can do it all so well, you can ask for more accounts work.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Firstly congratulations on getting the job in practice. I know how much this means to you.

I would be very very cautious about asking about undertaking any accounting duties outside your specified job role - remember what happened when you approached the auditors and asked to help out ?

Best advice I can give is to outperform in your specified job role by 110%. Get your head down and do the work that is asked of you (even if you would really rather have chance to get more involved with the accounts side of things) If you can demonstrate that you consistently produce good work, to targets and to deadlines then in time you may well be offered opportunity to become involved with project work.

100% echo this.

Congrats on the practice job Glynis. Just do your job role for now, and do it really, really well.

There is nothing wrong with letting them know you're interested in moving up into accountancy, but from your CV and interview they should know this already. Just get your head down, be brilliant, and then bring it up in a few months' time once you've settled into things.

Hope it goes really well!
Privacy Policy