Excel survey

Options
Hi all just being nosey.
The practise i work for, only uses Excel, the last six months i have really got to grips with it but you do need good double entry and accountancy skills too.
What do you guys use, i have seen vt and sage, but i think i will always use excel and then tax calc etc for returns. I even did the accounts for companies house on Excel spreadsheets.
Just wondered what you guys and gals use............

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    When I first started as a MiP I just used excel but now I use VT. With a software package you get a good paper trail.

I've also used Sage Accounts Production, Sage Accounts Production Advanced and CaseWare (Credence).
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Options
    Cheers Gem, im going to try VT...............all helps.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    IRIS and Sage.
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    The practice where I work uses Excel for rental accounts, sole traders, ETB's, Sage for bookeeping and Vat returns, and IRIS for Ltd company accounts and tax returns.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I use Excel for all my subbies at the end of the year - only sensible way to sort their 'carrier bag' out really.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    VT and FTax.

I use excel a lot but only as an 'assistant,' rarely as a primary bookkeeping/accounts tool.
  • villapb
    Options
    thanks all, interesting to see the different opinions................
  • E Storey
    E Storey Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Haha

"I've already keyed it all onto excel for you [so can I have a massive discount]" Is one of my nightmare sayings.

Some potential clients insist you use their spreadsheets in the way they've done it, one didn't like my using the standard SATR expense categories because he had his own system.... another decided his spreadsheet would work out VAT regardless of actual VAT categories etc! I just decline their work and point them to DIY accounts instead.

Using your own spreadsheets, Excel can work fine upto a certain number of users/transactions but then it can go pear shaped. I suppose a really well thought out template for each client type could work well, if you have the technical knowledge to make it idiot proof! I'm used to using SAGE so tend to use that but would also look at the packages mentioned above and on-line packages which can be promoted as a value added service to clients.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    E Storey wrote: Β»
    Haha

"I've already keyed it all onto excel for you [so can I have a massive discount]" Is one of my nightmare sayings.

Some potential clients insist you use their spreadsheets in the way they've done it, one didn't like my using the standard SATR expense categories because he had his own system.... another decided his spreadsheet would work out VAT regardless of actual VAT categories etc! I just decline their work and point them to DIY accounts instead.

Using your own spreadsheets, Excel can work fine upto a certain number of users/transactions but then it can go pear shaped. I suppose a really well thought out template for each client type could work well, if you have the technical knowledge to make it idiot proof! I'm used to using SAGE so tend to use that but would also look at the packages mentioned above and on-line packages which can be promoted as a value added service to clients.

+1 to this.
  • villapb
    Options
    Does Excel have a link to get hmrc to answer the phone............sorry but fed up with it lol.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Can I be cheeky and ask if any of you has a excel template, where you just fill in all data and it turns it into the statements automatically for Excel 2010?

I've got a friend whose accountant retired, but left her accounts with accountants that are way more expensive, so she is considering doing it on her own. She knows what she is doing, but just need some kind of template to start.

As I'm not a MIP, I didn't want to do it for her, but said I'd see if I can find her a nice template.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    Can I be cheeky and ask if any of you has a excel template, where you just fill in all data and it turns it into the statements automatically for Excel 2010?

I've got a friend whose accountant retired, but left her accounts with accountants that are way more expensive, so she is considering doing it on her own. She knows what she is doing, but just need some kind of template to start.

As I'm not a MIP, I didn't want to do it for her, but said I'd see if I can find her a nice template.

That's a good idea. I suppose with a lot of good intention you'd get all sorts of spreadsheets sent to you, and what you save in data entry you can lose in data checking and re-checking formulas.

It'd be well worth putting all the formulas in protected cells if you're sending it to a client to fill in.
Privacy Policy