AP2 Question Query

Options
mattwilkes85
mattwilkes85 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
Can anyone explain how to get the answer for Task 1.2 d on the AP2 online practice paper. I think I have looked at it for so long that I've completely confused myself.

The cash book is showing a large credit balance.

You enter a low value bank transaction in to the records. When entered, the assests, liabilities and capital of the business all remain unchanged. Which transaction has been entered?

The answer then is 'a bank payment to a credit supplier is made'

Wouldn't a payment to a credit supplier reduce the liability as now less is owed?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    The DE to record a bank payment to a credit customer would be

Dr Creditors
    Cr Bank

If the cash book is not part of the DE system it would be unaffected by this transaction.
  • mattwilkes85
    Options
    I'm still really confussed, I have copied the full question below with answers but I cannot work out why A is correct and the others are wrong?

You are now working on the books of a different business where the cash book is showing a large credit balance

The accountant enters a low value bank transaction into the records. When the transaction is entered, the assests, liabilites and capital of the business all remain unchanged.

Which of the following transactions has the accountant entered? Choose ONE answer

a) A bank payment to a credit supplier

b) A bank receipt from a credit customer

c) a bank payment for proprietors drawings

d) A bank receipt for a cash sale
  • di 77
    di 77 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I think the bank is using an overdrafit so as the account has a credit balance it is a liability,when paying supplier it is reducing liability but at the same time increasing its own liability. hope this helps
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Options
    DI has came up with the right answer - we went over this question a few months back and many people overlooked the fact that the back account is in overdraft - effectively all you are doing is shifting the liability
  • mattwilkes85
    Options
    Yep, makes sense now, cheers! Just AP2 next week and Level 2 done!
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Options
    Ap2 is level 3,don't you mean level 2 and 3 done next week?
  • mattwilkes85
    Options
    omega man wrote: »
    Ap2 is level 3,don't you mean level 2 and 3 done next week?

It had been a long day of revision - yes, level 3 I meant!
Privacy Policy