Ahhh! Help with decisions please!!

ChunkeyMonkey
ChunkeyMonkey Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

I have just finished my first year in a degree I am not passionate about! I always wanted to do accountancy and even applied for school leaver roles which I was not successful in.

I have a free summer where Im trying to get work experience but no such luck so far.

I was hoping to complete the AAT Level 2 this summer so when it shows commitment to accountancy and perhaps continue with it alongside my degree, however Im scared I might not be able to hack it. Reading on little info about the WEAF exam? Im not good at writing reports or letters or anything really..

I was looking at taking the CFAB exam instead. Is this a good alternative, but will I be able to complete it in the summer?

My aim is graduate chartered accountancy..if I get a 2:1.

Thank you so much!

Comments

• zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi i was in your boat exactly, basically from college i wen tot university to do law, as i was good at this and it was suggested to me, i considered aat but told that i would be wasting my time. I HATED my degree, with a passion, after my second year i was in two minds about dropping out, one of the worst mistakes i did was not doing aat earlier. my suggestion would be.

Continue with your degree, and do aat in the holidays for example uni you be off from june to october, you could finish level 2 in 4 months, then in second year of uni do 1 or 2 exams from level 3. If aat was flexbile cba back then i would have done this myself.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi,

I have just finished my first year in a degree I am not passionate about! I always wanted to do accountancy and even applied for school leaver roles which I was not successful in.

I have a free summer where Im trying to get work experience but no such luck so far.

I was hoping to complete the AAT Level 2 this summer so when it shows commitment to accountancy and perhaps continue with it alongside my degree, however Im scared I might not be able to hack it. Reading on little info about the WEAF exam? Im not good at writing reports or letters or anything really..

I was looking at taking the CFAB exam instead. Is this a good alternative, but will I be able to complete it in the summer?

My aim is graduate chartered accountancy..if I get a 2:1.

Thank you so much!

Don't worry about WEAF, it's changing to an exam in September and it's really easy. I know this is after the summer but you won't need to do much study for it and it'll only take you an hour to do the exam. What you do need to consider though if you're wanting to pursue accountancy is that at the higher levels of the qualifications you will need to write a report, in AAT you have the ICAS report to do at Level 4 and in ICAEW there's a case study. I don't think there's anything like that in ACCA but I could be wrong.
  • ChunkeyMonkey
    zaf1987 wrote: »
    Hi i was in your boat exactly, basically from college i wen tot university to do law, as i was good at this and it was suggested to me, i considered aat but told that i would be wasting my time. I HATED my degree, with a passion, after my second year i was in two minds about dropping out, one of the worst mistakes i did was not doing aat earlier. my suggestion would be.

Continue with your degree, and do aat in the holidays for example uni you be off from june to october, you could finish level 2 in 4 months, then in second year of uni do 1 or 2 exams from level 3. If aat was flexbile cba back then i would have done this myself.

Thank you! I think Ill stick with my degree for now, as I was quite lucky to get in before the fees went up and Ive put a year into it already. Plus I was thinking I could look for accountancy internships? Do you know if you could do this without an accountancy degree?
  • ChunkeyMonkey
    coojee wrote: »
    Don't worry about WEAF, it's changing to an exam in September and it's really easy. I know this is after the summer but you won't need to do much study for it and it'll only take you an hour to do the exam. What you do need to consider though if you're wanting to pursue accountancy is that at the higher levels of the qualifications you will need to write a report, in AAT you have the ICAS report to do at Level 4 and in ICAEW there's a case study. I don't think there's anything like that in ACCA but I could be wrong.

Oh really? Whats it chaining to? Wasn't it 4 hours before? Well if it doesn't take long, I shall look into it, I just don't want for it to interrupt my studies.

I think I can write a report..it just as Im doing a science degree, when I look at journals and such, I don't understand a word of them, but I can write lab reports ok, but not sure about being timed during one, e.g. getting all the information right, making sure its in order and makes sense. I guess its all down to practice.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Oh really? Whats it chaining to? Wasn't it 4 hours before? Well if it doesn't take long, I shall look into it, I just don't want for it to interrupt my studies.

I think I can write a report..it just as Im doing a science degree, when I look at journals and such, I don't understand a word of them, but I can write lab reports ok, but not sure about being timed during one, e.g. getting all the information right, making sure its in order and makes sense. I guess its all down to practice.

Hi

Don't get to mixed up, when it asks for a report in WEAF it is asking in the simplest form.

I had never done report writing as such but passed first time, all it mainly wants is a tidy layout, give it a title then subheadings with a small paragraph explaining each one. It only took me 10 mins to write it.

Jan
  • ChunkeyMonkey
    janwal wrote: »
    Hi

Don't get to mixed up, when it asks for a report in WEAF it is asking in the simplest form.

I had never done report writing as such but passed first time, all it mainly wants is a tidy layout, give it a title then subheadings with a small paragraph explaining each one. It only took me 10 mins to write it.

Jan

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. :)
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thank you! I think Ill stick with my degree for now, as I was quite lucky to get in before the fees went up and Ive put a year into it already. Plus I was thinking I could look for accountancy internships? Do you know if you could do this without an accountancy degree?

Im not to sure about this, im planing on going through the cima route so note researched this very much. however i should think that it was possible without a accountancy degree.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

Hello

You may like to do a search on the internet for graduate placements etc.

I found this http://www.ey.com/UK/en/Careers/Students/Your-role-here/Undergraduates---Penultimate-year---EY-Summer-Internship which you may find interesting reading.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • ChunkeyMonkey
    Jo Clark wrote: »
    Hello

You may like to do a search on the internet for graduate placements etc.

I found this http://www.ey.com/UK/en/Careers/Students/Your-role-here/Undergraduates---Penultimate-year---EY-Summer-Internship which you may find interesting reading.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

JC :o

Ah Thank you! Ive got a meeting with my uni careers centre next week, so hopefully they can put me in the right direction for other companies!
Privacy Policy