CIS - Help anyone ?

Jasper Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ?

I currently do my husbands books and he's in the building trade, he's Self Employed and on some jobs need to employ another specialist contractor to help with some contracts. He tells me he has ‘gross status’. I am told I do not need to deduct the normal 20% CIS and can pay the full gross amount of his invoice. My question is: Do I need to submit any paperwork or anything at all to HMRC about these payments as he is now out of the CIS scheme ?

My initial thoughts are No, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks for any help.


  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495
    Have you rang CIS helpline and verified that he is gross payment status?
  • Jasper
    Jasper Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ?
    Thanks for the reply. No I haven't verified it yet as I was unsure what to do. I don't doubt him as he's an established firm who I have known for some time. Would phoning the CIS be the best people to ask? If he does have gross status, do I need to do anything ?
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 ? ? ?
    I recently watched an AAT webinar about CIS, if you pm me your email address I'll send you over the powerpoint slides from the person who gave the lecture.

  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448
    Your husband needs to be registered as a contractor for CIS and then you can verify the tax status of subbies either online or by phone (online is quicker). You can't take the word of the subbie, you need to have a verification number. Hope that helps. If not, let me know because I LOVE CIS.
Privacy Policy