Advertising - What/Wheres best strategy

Options
ACServices
ACServices Registered Posts: 7 Regular contributor ⭐
Evening all,

Those of you that have been running your own client base for sometime, where and how did you find best to advertise?

I have recently started on my own and was wondering what the best approach you've found to save me wasting a pile of cash especially given the financial climate etc.

I'm trying to build up a client base, based around those of small ltd companies and sole traders within my area.

Appreciate your responses.

Regards,

Andy

Comments

• Natsmomma
    Natsmomma Registered Posts: 39 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have found local advertising the best. Post office/shop ads, parish magazines, local websites etc.

Cheap as chips and much more successful than big ads which I tried. Word of Mouth shouldn't be underestimated either. Local networking groups are also good for this.

Good luck with it all
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Natsmomma wrote: »
    Word of Mouth shouldn't be underestimated either. Local networking groups are also good for this.

Good luck with it all

Agreed.

I picked up a few new clients recently from attending a seminar that my bank ran, and have picked up a few more as a result of word of mouth.
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Word of mouth is always the best form and once you get that first client, ensure they are happy and they usually content to sing your praises down the pub with the next person!
    Networking is probably the next best thing, still free, and it gets you out there. Depending on what type of networking groups you go to (i.e. a non-accountancy one), there may be other accountants and you need to do/say something that stands you out from the crowd, be prepared for that. I remember my first one and it seemed like they were playing handbags at dawn!! :( Don't be put off though!
    AAT Branch meetings are a great way to connect with other accountants, and you never know what sort of work you can pick up there too.
    Local advertising is great, people do seem to like 'local' accountants, whom they can just pop in to see and drop things off.
    A website is also a must these days, as if people see a website address, they will usually check it out to glean more about you. Making it informative and helpful will help create a good first impression and hopefully that initial call.
    I always give first consultations free, for mutual benefit - I want them to see what I am about, and I also want to understand whether they are a client I would want to take on.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Word of mouth is the best way in the long run. However, I have taken on my local clients through free of cheap local advertising, eg, local shops, post offices, magazines, etc. Good luck!
  • ACServices
    ACServices Registered Posts: 7 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

Have any of you had any success or tried any direct marketing to local businessessuch as leaflets and/or mail shots?

Regards,

Andy
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Did some leafleting when I started up but I did loads and got 1 client and that was a year later. I've drone lots of other advertising as well although I've not done any networking.

I gain most clients via my website and a google Adwords campaign.

Word of mouth is good but to get a decent inflow of enquiries then you either needa clients who tells everyone and has lots of people to tell!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Natsmomma wrote: »

Cheap as chips and much more successful than big ads which I tried

Good luck with it all

I'm blushing but the advert that gets the most attention is my (free) card in the local chip shop.....
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Word of mouth.

Local advertising.

A good website that ranks well for "Accountant MyTown"

Free line entry in Yell & Thomsons, but DO NOT give them any money - will be a waste.

G'luck!
Privacy Policy