Child minder food costs

Options
Paul C
Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a quick and HMRC friendly way of claiming children food costs for a Childminder who has not kept any food receipts all year....?

Is it ok to work out a crude amount, eg £2 per day per child?

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would work on that basis with the agreement of the client and advise them that in the case of an inspection the figure must be justified.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Can they not justify by how much they are paying now? In case of an enquiry it should then be the same as the current year - ish.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    CLICK ME!
    Food and drink

Reasonable estimates for the costs of food and drink provided for the children being cared for are acceptable and receipts will not be required.

Regards

Dean
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My little girl has breakfast, lunch, high tea, and 2 X snacks in nursery every day. If a child is having 5 meals a day then I would suggest that the cost per child could be higher than £2.

My organisation does the bookkeeping for a playgroup - the kids here only have a snack (fruit/drink) and we cost that at £1.10 a head.
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks all - much appreciated. You're stars (I mean that).

I am going to recommend that shes takes the reasonable estimate approach this year. £4 per day per child if breakfast , lunch and tea. And then suggest that she does a sample 2 two weeks on current food bills to look at the cost and use that moving forward.
Privacy Policy