Allowable cost?

2»

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    stevo5678 wrote: »
    Sometimes the onus should be on the client. Ask him if it is business, private or a combination. Then apply the appropriate claim. At the end of the day we are suppossed to be helping clients but within the boundaries.

that's what I've done... but it would be wrong of me not to point out that HMRC may not agree with him!
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    JodieR wrote: »
    that's what I've done... but it would be wrong of me not to point out that HMRC may not agree with him!

Totally agree.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Jodie

Another thing you might like to think about; be it that your client is in the tertiary industry and more specifically a "supplier" of his knowledge, my assumption is that he won't have to much in the way of CAs. Putting through an AIA claim now might trigger a flag at the Revenue end. Would putting a white box note to the Return be wise - or would that be disclosing too much information and asking for trouble? I don't know.

Regards

Dean
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    More likely a phone call if anything at all, asking about it.

I know you don't believe it is allowable Dean, but there are others that think it is and the chance of query is remote, if it is queried a piece of office furniture is perfectly justifiable imho. I believe HMRC have bigger fish to fry! I certainly wouldn't suggest hiding it or putting anything through because they won't question it, I just believe it is a valid claim that I wouldn't be losing sleep about.

White space or no white space, I don't think it will make a difference!
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘

White space or no white space, I don't think it will make a difference!

The difference can be c20-50%. The difference between prompted and unprompted.

But hey, Jodie is the one in possession of all the facts. She posted here because she was unsure and she's had feedback from two sides and made her own informed decision; which I'm sure is the right one.

Regards

Dean
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sorry should have been clearer, I meant that I don't think it would make a difference to an investigation as they rarely read it anyway!!!!
  • Barry
    Barry Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    My view on this is that it would be allowable and duality of purpose would not come into it. Tax legislation is overly complex as it is in my opinion.
Privacy Policy