How did you decide which option papers to study?

Options
Roma129
Roma129 Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All,

I am planning ahead to see what optional level 4 papers I might want to take next year. I do want to take the credit management and control paper as I do credit control at work, so this will benefit me at work.
I do not want to do external auditing for the reason that I understand I would not be allowed to do external auditing as a MAAT. .

This leaves the the 2 tax papers. I would love to do them both, but as we can only do 2 optional papers, I am not sure which one would be more useful.

I find msyelf more interested to learn about Personal tax and it may be usefull f I want to do a payroll qualifaction after AAT?

However, the business tax looks interesting and may be more useful if I do not go on with any further studies at all.

How did you decide which papers to take on level 4?

Comments

• SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You can sit all 3, but that would be a but silly. I'd suggest personal tax over business tax if only taking one, as business tax builds on personal tax to some extent. You could always buy the text for business tax and haveba read but not sit the exam?

I chose the two tax modules as I work in tax and need business tax for the exemption in ATT.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I don't have a choice as college decides, they have chosen Personal Tax and Credit Management, last year they did the two taxes but have decided the pass rate on Busimess Tax is too low.

Good luck whatever you decide

Jan
  • CovTeej
    CovTeej Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Like Janwal, we were told by the college which two we would be doing, they then changed their minds just before we were due to start the second optional unit, I would have liked to do Personal Tax, but we ended up doing Credit Management and External Auditing
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Like Janwal and covteej, my college never gave me the option it was just credit management and personal tax. The
    college term has to be extended into the summer holidays, as we only started the topic personal tax a week ago.
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Roma129
    Roma129 Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you all. It seems quite unfair that your college won't give you the option to study the subject's you're interested in, after all it's your career and you should be in the position to study what you are most interested in!

I still have time but think I will go with CMC and the Personal tax as they seem more interesting to me. I can always read the textbooks on business tax if I want to afterwards.

Good luck to you all with upcoming exams. I have 2 coming up this month!
  • SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    My college is only giving us 2 options when we start in September, credit management and business tax. Must admit these are the options I would have chosen anyway :)
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Thanks Roma, u2 Good Luck with your exams :thumbup1:
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Godd luck wth the exams Roma:001_smile:
  • Sailorgirl
    Sailorgirl Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have just completed all 4 options. College were only offering Personal Tax and Credit Management, but I really wanted to Business Tax as did a few others. So after PTX and Credit Management, I sat Auditing (only cos the teacher said it was easy and would help with ICAS), and last week completed BTX after 3 weeks self study.

I have to say that BTX definitely builds on PTX, Auditing was a pain and the teacher obviously hadn't sat the exam, and Credit Management was a walk in the park after all the other exams.

Part of my motivation was that I want to go on to ATT and college supported our self study by providing the books and exam dates.

Good luck
Privacy Policy