Personal Tax - Exam questions not covered in class or book

Deejaybee
Deejaybee Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I took personal tax exam on 21.02.2012 and one of the questions was about taxation on death/injury payments - I clearly remember this question thinking I've definately not covered this in class, definately don't remember reading anything about it in the course book we were using osborne financt act 2010. When I got home I scoured the book which we were using for the Finance act 2010 and there was nothing at all in the book, I ended up googling the answer just out of interest

I now am due to retake the CBA personal tax exam and was told it would be based on finance act 2011 now as I was past the date for using finance act 2010, so I went and bought the new course book relelvant to finance act 2011. I noticed that in the new book for finance act 20122 under the list of exempt income it lists death/injury payouts

I wonder why there was a question in my 2010 exam which is in the finance act 2011 book?

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Possibly because Osborne didn't know that the AAT were going to assess these types of payments until they were told about this question so they added it into the next book that they printed. The AAT aren't always particularly clear about what and what isn't going to be assessed. I've checked the guidance and the standards for this unit and there's no mention of tax on death/injury payments so it's a bit sneaky of the AAT to add it in. Having said that though if this was the only thing you got wrong you would probably have passed so there must have been other more major problems with your paper.
  • Deejaybee
    Deejaybee Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    oh yes def im not doubting i failed it by a mile off lol but if they keep sneaking questions in that aren't covered in our class or our books im never going to pass
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Deejaybee wrote: »
    oh yes def im not doubting i failed it by a mile off lol but if they keep sneaking questions in that aren't covered in our class or our books im never going to pass

It is wrong of them really, I don't know how they get away with it.
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Deejaybee,

I think this should probably be discussed with our team - when you get a moment could you please get in touch at 0845 863 0801 / membershipsupport@aat.org.uk?

Thanks,

Stuart
Privacy Policy