Financial performance......arghhhhh

Options
Binkster
Binkster Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hiya just trying to get some feedback on what you thought of this exam if u have sat it of course lol.

Comments

• CovTeej
    CovTeej Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I've sat it twice now! The first sitting I went in feeling confident, answered all the questions and for the first time this year, left the exam room feeling happy with my answers and sure that I had passed but I failed despite getting 5 exceeded in my feedback. The resit was awful, it seemed that almost every question included overhead variances, (which I struggle with) and I couldn't wait to leave the room, just got to wait another 5 or so weeks now to see how I have done.

Don't let me put you off, as we all get different questions you never know what you are going to be asked, so good luck.
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    I found that the exam went ok, i answered most questions but for me personally I needed at least another
    30 minutes to answer the two writing tasks.
    Good luck with your results Covteej, i still have to wait another 4 weeks for mine.
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Binkster
    Binkster Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Yeah I ran out of time as well on the written ones. I really hated that exam was soooooo complex. Sat it on the 20th June so am obsessed with checking AAT website every day at around 10.30am...sad or what lol.
    Good luck on your results.:001_smile:
  • aaron0121
    Options
    Thanks Binkster, u2 Good luck with your results.

I sat the exam 4th July so you should get your results before me, let us know how you get on :thumbup1:
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • lyndseywood87
    lyndseywood87 Registered Posts: 47 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Financial performance went okay for me. I thought the variances clicked about two days before my actual exam so was feeling more confident when I went into the exam. Good luck those who are waiting on results x
  • Bongo
    Bongo Registered Posts: 25 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Took my FNPF today, and like others, run out of time for the extended writing tasks. Scrolling up and down on the CBA doesn't help either. This CBA didn't really resemble any of the practice CBA's I have taken. I believe this should go back to being a paper based assessment. Never mind keep smiling! :001_smile:
  • vickie88
    vickie88 Registered Posts: 58 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I really seem to be struggling with this exam, I have sat this twice now and keep failing on the written sections, Both times i have ran out of time as well and not had time to check my answers. I knew straight away I had failed it the first time but i was pretty confident the second time. I just don't know what else to do I have done all the mock exams and the revision kits my tutor has given me, I have also read the chef examiner reports and still no look =(
  • Hopeipassx
    Hopeipassx Registered Posts: 66 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi all,

I sat this monday 23rd july, come out thinking god that was hard. I too could of done with a extra half hour just to go through all questions and check them. But left with 3 mins left. The written ones i found fine just not enough time to write the answers. It was the numerical ones i struggled on (and have done since day 1). oh well ill just wait n see and keep my fingers crossed.

That was my last exam so least can relax for abit, just waiting for results from FNST sat 4 weeks ago and the above.
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Don't Hate Me...

Please don't hate me guys, but I think complaining about the exam and blaming how "complex" it is, is wrong and lazy. The exam may be one of the more challenging AAT exams but when compared to the chartered level exams, which I assume most students, like myself will be moving onto, not difficult at all.

I think it boils down to a couple of things;

1- Exam technique - practice, how to approach questions & knowing the exam format is the key here

2- Knowing & understanding the syllabus, being comfortable in answering questions in any format too

3- Speed - time per question - a lot of students waste their time on questions to get them perfect, for an extra one or two marks, leaving less time per question on the remaining questions, which means that they either won't have enough time or rush to complete the exam.

4- Exam prep classes - if you feel you need some extra help, or practice I have always found these to cement my knowledge and boost my confidence prior to sitting exams.

I sat this exam confident in my approach and knowledge and I finished with plenty of time left over and passed (majority exceeded).

Good luck to everyone
  • Hopeipassx
    Options
    Hi

The above is my opinion and how I felt after i come out of the exam, which is not wrong or lazy.
  • Louise89
    Options
    Sorry, but the above is my opinion.

These exams, like the majority of exams are only a test of what we have learned; so you have either learned the material or not.
  • Hopeipassx
    Options
    If you refer to the first post

"Hiya just trying to get some feedback on what you thought of this exam if u have sat it of course lol. "

We have all answered as our own feed back. Not sure your comments help stating basically were all lazy and dont know the material therefore shouldnt sit the exam. I for one have passed all my exams first time and put a lot of effort and time into each one and feel before I sit the exam that I cant do no-more. that doesnt mean when i have sat the exam that i think it was a breeze.

This is a forum for peoples reviews on how they found their exams etc not how they SHOULD of found it.
  • Louise89
    Options
    Ah, my apologies; may have posted in the wrong thread... I've just seen a lot of whinging about some of the Level 4 exams and it vexed me.

*SHOULD have found it.
  • Hopeipassx
    Options
    other peoples opinions (or as u put it "whinging") shoudnt vex u. chill out.
  • Louise89
    Options
    I shall try.
  • nicd1981
    nicd1981 Registered Posts: 243 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I remember coming out of this exam with the horrible feeling of dread convinced id failed! Im not lazy, in fact i study every night and all day at weekends, but i have two children and a full time job so without sounding like im making excuses its some times takes me twice as long.

I know that some students just ''get it'' with ratios, analysis, adjustments etc, but some take a lot longer.

Exam technique, ha first time id ever sat a proper exam was my AAT level 2 exam, i left school without qualifications to work and have put my self through AAT for the last 3 years to better my job prospects etc but have managed well and did pass FNPF first time- shockingly :)

Louise, you may be in the category of you just ''get it '' and you dont understand why some students struggle, and that may be annoying to you, but imagine how frustrating it is for someone to work really hard and struggle to learn . Some times you just have to put your self in someone elses shoes before judging

Good Luck everyone

Nicola xxx
    Nicola Donnelly ,MAAT, MIP, CIMA Dip MA

Email: donnellynicola7@gmail.com
    Facbook Page: MEND Accounting
    Blog: http://wannabeanaccountant.blogspot.co.uk
    Twitter: @mendaccounting
  • Louise89
    Options
    Louise, you may be in the category of you just ''get it '' and you dont understand why some students struggle, and that may be annoying to you, but imagine how frustrating it is for someone to work really hard and struggle to learn . Some times you just have to put your self in someone elses shoes before judging

My sincere apologies...

I have a lot of admiration for people with children who work and study on top - it must have been a tough journey! Best of luck to you.

Louise x
  • vickie88
    Options
    This exam is the hardest exam i have done so far, and I have done all the other exams for level 4 and passed them with no problems.

I study every night every weekend and every dinner break at work, I have revision notes plastered all over my desk at work and at home and still fail the exam it is driving me mad =( my tutor sent me some practice questions to and i did them and emailed them back and she said i was doing every thing right and there was no major problems with my answers.

I have had the feedback form from the exam but i rang the AAT for more feedback for the exam i had sat so i could see exactly what i was doing wrong but they said they cant give me that information or give me any percentages =( Just told me the appeals procedure =(
  • nicd1981
    Options
    You too Louise. i also wanted to study CIMA ,but have decided to give my self a long break as i did struggle with Level 4 FNPF and FNST. Good Luck for September xx

and Vic, Think when i really struggle i just go back to basics, start at the beginning and work forward. In the Osbourne book each section ends with questions and scenarios to test what you have just learnt, as well as sample exams.
    Have you tried this?
    If its just the written questionns why not just do these? over and over until you can recite the layout without even having a question? Just an idea, Goodluck whatever you decide xx

• vickie88
    Options
    I dont have the Osbourne book but sound like pretty much the same layout as the kaplan ones.

Yes am going to spend the bulk of my time revising the written questions and the layout but i am still going to revise the other bits as well so its all still fresh in my head.

Thanks for your help xx
  • NicF
    NicF Registered Posts: 108 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I remember coming out of this exam with the horrible feeling of dread convinced id failed! Im not lazy, in fact i study every night and all day at weekends, but i have two children and a full time job so without sounding like im making excuses its some times takes me twice as long.

I know that some students just ''get it'' with ratios, analysis, adjustments etc, but some take a lot longer.

Exam technique, ha first time id ever sat a proper exam was my AAT level 2 exam, i left school without qualifications to work and have put my self through AAT for the last 3 years to better my job prospects etc but have managed well and did pass FNPF first time- shockingly :)

Good Luck everyone

Nicola xxx

I have two children and a part time job and I was living with my mum and I was preparing to move overseas while studying for this exam. I had just three weeks to learn the material and prepare for the exam. I completed the exam in two hours and I came out with a serious headache and feeling rather sick so I hadn't gone back to check my answers and quite frankly I could have written anything for the last two sections of the last question. I just found out today that I passed the exam.

I agree that some people just get it and others don't. I'm one of those that just get it and I appreciate that it is not always that easy for others. However, like Louise, I get a bit fed up of people complaining that it is the exams that are too hard because they are struggling. The exams are not too hard - they are the right level of difficulty for the course and if they were made easier then it would devalue the qualification. If you go on to study CIMA or ACCA the exams will be much harder than the exams you have sat at AAT level.
  • nicd1981
    Options
    I agree Nicf, and i never once said i was complaining the exams where too hard, nor was i saying Louise didn't have a valid point about CIMA and ACCA being alot harder. What i did say was that instead of getting annoyed at other people coming on here for moral support after struggling, maybe you and she should have a little bit of empathy, and maybe use your knowledge of the subject to support others! after all Nicf that's what these forums are all about

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next.

Nicola xx

• NicF
    Options
    Hi Nicola

I do tend to come on to the forums to try and help people who are struggling. I know from experience of being around people who don't just get it that sometimes they just need something explaining in a slightly different way (usually in terms my seven year old could understand). However just recently there have been a number of threads, well at least one, where students have come on to the forum simply to complain about an exam being too hard and not being allowed enough time, rather than asking for help in understanding the material better so they can complete the exams in the allowed time. It is these kind of posts that I was really refering to above.

As for what I'm going to do next, it looks like I'll be becoming a stay at home mum for the time being at least. For me this is going to be my biggest challenge to date :ohmy:
  • nicd1981
    Options
    Ah i feel for you, and im also slightly jealous :001_tt2:

I missed most of my two growing up as i had to work full time due to being a single parent, i simply could never afford to be a stay at home mum! But i do know that when im off work even for a day, im crawling the walls looking for stuff to do!

How old is your child? Maybe you could home study for the time being at least, or are you level 4 qualified now?

xx

• NicF
    Options
    My kids are actually seven and eleven so almost independant really. We've just moved to Australia and I've said I want to stay home until I get the kids settled in to school and living here before I start looking for a job. At the moment we are home while my OH works so I'm spending my days trying to find things to do with them to get them off the i-pods. I've completed (and passed thank goodness) all the level 4 exams and I just have my ICAS report to do. I've kind of started but with everything going off in our last few weeks in the UK and our first week here I haven't done much yet. The kids start school a week on Tuesday so no more excuses after then. Although I'm sure the house work will suddenly become very importand and fulfilling.
  • aaron0121
    Options
    On my previous post when I said ' but for me personally I needed at least another 30 minutes to answer the
    two writing tasks'. This wasn't me complaining or moaning that I wasn't allowed enough time. I was giving my
    own opinion on how the exam went for me - which this thread is about. If I do fail the exam
    (hopefully not :001_smile:), fur future reference I need to spend less time trying to perfect the formulas
    and calculations and spend more time completing the 2 written sections - which i completely understand.
    Just wanted to get my point across, have a nice day everyone :thumbup1:
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Louise89
    Options
    NicF wrote: ยป
    I have two children and a part time job and I was living with my mum and I was preparing to move overseas while studying for this exam. I had just three weeks to learn the material and prepare for the exam. I completed the exam in two hours and I came out with a serious headache and feeling rather sick so I hadn't gone back to check my answers and quite frankly I could have written anything for the last two sections of the last question. I just found out today that I passed the exam.

I agree that some people just get it and others don't. I'm one of those that just get it and I appreciate that it is not always that easy for others. However, like Louise, I get a bit fed up of people complaining that it is the exams that are too hard because they are struggling. The exams are not too hard - they are the right level of difficulty for the course and if they were made easier then it would devalue the qualification. If you go on to study CIMA or ACCA the exams will be much harder than the exams you have sat at AAT level.

NicF, you just put my feelings into better words... :) x
  • nicd1981
    Options
    NicF wrote: ยป
    My kids are actually seven and eleven so almost independant really. We've just moved to Australia and I've said I want to stay home until I get the kids settled in to school and living here before I start looking for a job. At the moment we are home while my OH works so I'm spending my days trying to find things to do with them to get them off the i-pods. I've completed (and passed thank goodness) all the level 4 exams and I just have my ICAS report to do. I've kind of started but with everything going off in our last few weeks in the UK and our first week here I haven't done much yet. The kids start school a week on Tuesday so no more excuses after then. Although I'm sure the house work will suddenly become very importand and fulfilling.

Sorry for late reply, Now ive finished my exams i started reading 50 shades of grey and didnt put it down all night!! lol
    WOw, what id give to move to oz!! apparently there's a lot of job oppertunities over there also for someone who is AAT qualified . So good luck for your job hunt!

Nic xx

Privacy Policy