first accounts assistant role

Options
wbauk2002
wbauk2002 Registered Posts: 110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hi all

So I have been invited to do a days work trial for my first accounts assistant job, which has taken me ages, they said he wants me to do some bank recs and post invoices etc, but I'm just wondering how good I'm expected to be on the first day? I would have thought it would take a few weeks to get used to their systems, has anyone else had experience doin a day trail and what is expected of you?

Thanks

Comments

• GemmaS
    GemmaS Registered Posts: 178 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Yes you do want to be as efficient as you can and you do want to get things right, however the system will probably be new to you so they SHOULD allow for you getting used to it. Have you had much experience of different accounting programs? As long as you know what you looking to acheive with posting the invoices and doing the bank rec it is just a case of learning the system. I haven't had to do a days trial so far but I was put on a months trial with my current job and on the first day I was presented with an accounting program which my boss quite happily admitted to me (and to be quite frank I agree!) is awful! It didn't take too long to get to grips with how the system works; posting invoices and doing bank recs are fairly easy... although I'm still finding silly glitches 8 months down the line which make my job very difficult at times!
    What sort of company is it? do you have any idea of what accounting system they use?

Just keep in mind what you want to acheive, and check it to make sure you are getting it correct and i'm sure you will be fine :D

Gemma
  • wbauk2002
    Options
    Its a small accounts team which I like for a internet based company with high transactions, they spend over 2 million per year with google alone, and the finance manager said to me that I can have as much responsibility as i want, which is great as I can grow with the company through aat and cima.

They use sage and i am fairly confident with the basics on there, just dont want to screw up the work trial as i see it as a big opportunity.
  • GemmaS
    Options
    Hi,

yes it does sound like a big opportunity! Well done for getting this far. :) If they use sage then you already have a head start as you have some experience with it. Just check your work as you go along to begin with then spot check things to make sure you are getting things right. Try to think things through to see if you can come up with the answer to queries yourself but don't be afraid to ask if you don't know anything.
    They obviously have confidence in you that you can do the job as they have taken you past the interview stage! Have some confidence in yourself and you'll be fine.
    If you have a copy of sage yourself it might be an idea to have a play around on it again just to make sure it is fresh in your mind.

Good luck and well done for getting the opportunity!

Gemma
  • GemmaS
    Options
    Hi,

Have you had your day's trial yet? how did it go?

Gemma
  • wbauk2002
    Options
    Tuesday! Nerves r settin in lol
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Good luck for your trial tomorrow! :thumbup1: Let us know how it goes.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • wbauk2002
    Options
    Went really well

Basically did bank rec all day today, pretty much got the job as long as i dont accidentally deleted their sage files lol
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Excellent news! :D
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • GemmaS
    Options
    pretty much got the job as long as i dont accidentally deleted their sage files lol

Well done! That's fantastic :D

I had to do all of the bookkeeping for a job a few years ago.... I'd had no experience at all and only 2 days training on sage to set me off...... I was given a whole years worth of accounts to put onto sage just before year end.... It took me ages as I didnt really know what I was doing.... I made the school girl error of not taking seperate backups of all my work.... 2 days before the accountant wanted all the info I accidently wiped EVERYTHING!

Lesson of the day.......

You can never have enough backups!
  • wbauk2002
    Options
    i got the job yey

headache tho from all the info i gotta take in
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Congrats on getting the job!!!!!:thumbup1:

Hope i get my first accounts assistant role soon :001_smile: