Confusion of MIP

Options
jalalsyed
jalalsyed Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Right now, I have some confusion surrounding my mind about MIP and some of the websites aren't too self explanatory and I'd appreciate if some people would clear the jargon for me. Here I start,

1. So here is my story, I am unemployed currently and I have been redundant by my previous employer around 2 week ago. I just downloaded the MIP applying application form and I've been checking through the application form. Firstly, I came across the "professional reference" section but here is my problem, I've been redundant so where should I get this reference from? For my MAAT, I was still working at the time but now I'm unemployed.

Shall I go back to my previous employer to get the "proffesional reference" section filled in? I still am in contacts with them. If not, what shall I do?

2. On the website, it says I'm a MAAT but I still haven't received any paper work regarding my MAAT. It's been just over a week since I got my MAAT.

3. Thirdly, I have a little confusion between "licensed" and "registered" MIP? I am only experienced in Bookkeeping, Accounts/Finance which means I'm not experienced in everything MIP requires. It says I need to take a diagnostic test, will I need to take this?

Thanks.

Comments

• jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi,

Im not sure if you need to be an maat for a particular length of time but if you wish to become an mip in your current situation, you can register onto the scheme to be registered. To do this you need to fill in the form, but don't need to provide a professional reference or take the diagnostic tests (although they are worth taking anyway if you wish to be mip). You then also indicate which areas you wish to practice in, in your case book keeping and accounts as you can add to these when you have more experience. You then need to send the form in with your cpd for the areas you wish to practice in. If you wish to become licensed you will need the reference and more in depth cpd.

You can be registered for a max of 2 years and then you will need to be licensed.

See page 4 of the following link

https://services.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/MIP%20help%20sheet%20and%20application%20pack.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=168898&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=187

Specifically "If you wish to apply for registration on the scheme please ignore pages 11 and 12 and continue with page 13 of the application pack."

Hope this helps.
  • jalalsyed
    Options
    jow774 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im not sure if you need to be an maat for a particular length of time but if you wish to become an mip in your current situation, you can register onto the scheme to be registered. To do this you need to fill in the form, but don't need to provide a professional reference or take the diagnostic tests (although they are worth taking anyway if you wish to be mip). You then also indicate which areas you wish to practice in, in your case book keeping and accounts as you can add to these when you have more experience. You then need to send the form in with your cpd for the areas you wish to practice in. If you wish to become licensed you will need the reference and more in depth cpd.

You can be registered for a max of 2 years and then you will need to be licensed.

See page 4 of the following link

https://services.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/MIP%20help%20sheet%20and%20application%20pack.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=168898&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=187

Specifically "If you wish to apply for registration on the scheme please ignore pages 11 and 12 and continue with page 13 of the application pack."

Hope this helps.
    You seem to be very knowledgeable:001_smile:, have you got a email where I can contact for queries? PM me if you can. It's always good to have someone knowledgeable and to have contacts with them.

Is there a fee for the diagnostic test take?

Thanks for helping.
  • jow774
    Options
    Im not that knowledegable, just done it myself thats all.

The diagnostic tests are in myaat and there isnt any fee.

Sorry, I dont give out my email, but you can pm me any queries if you wish.
  • jalalsyed
    Options
    Thanks for that and that is fine but another thing is Will I need to find another job to develop on other MIP skills like Payroll, VAT return and such so I can get my license?
  • jow774
    Options
    You will need to demonstrate cpd in those areas, but that could be other courses, voluntary work. You would have to ask the AAT what is suitable though. Give the MIP team a ring they are quite helpful.
Privacy Policy