dyzio Registered, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 35 Regular contributor ⭐ ? ⭐
Hi there,

I hope you can help me with my questions...
I am about to finish level 4, one exam left to do and ICAS project. I have recently been asked by my childminder to do a payroll for her employees (one at the moment, maybe it will go up to three). She is self-employed. My questions are - can I do it without having a qualification yet? I have a little experience in payroll - recently started working for a accountancy practice ( I'm also self-employed) where I run payroll for our clients.
Also, can you please recommend payroll software (free preferably) which I could use? I need to produce payslips for the employees, so I think that HMRC's one will not be suitable.
What would you charge? I will run it once a month, for one employee for the time being, so it will not require too much work...

Any help is appreciated.



  • Tiger
    Tiger Registered Posts: 63 ? ? ?
    Yes you can work before you qualify if you have the experience but I think you'd need a MIP licence.

    Moneysoft payroll manager is the software I'd recommend. Straight forward to use not too expensive.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071 ? ? ?
    If you're a MAAT you need a MIP licence or an exemption.

    If you're not yet a MAAT you can practice, as long as you only do things you're competent to do, and don't refer to the AAT in any way.

    So, go for it! Moneysoft or 12Pay are both great.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,438
    I recommend 12pay
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    hmrc payroll tool is free for upto 9 employees...........rti also.
Privacy Policy