Carry Back Expenses - Rental Property

Options
stefanboro
stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hi Everyone,

As I recall a sole trader can claim expenses for any eligible amounts for up to seven years prior to the trade commencing.

I can see no reason why the same shouldn't apply to the rental of a property but I would be most appreciative if anyone can confirm this?

Thanks.

Comments

• stefanboro
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not thinking things like mortgage interest - just property maintenance and repairs.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Here you go.

If you incur expenses getting the property 'into' a "lettable" state then I believe these expenses are not allowable for income tax purposes.

Regards

Dean
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I can see the logic with what you say. I rent out property, just trying to think of a cost that would relate to renting a property out, that would occur a few years before actually putting it available to rent?

Could I say I was decorating a house I'm currently living in, for the purpose of when it will be rented out?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You need to be careful about what the house was used for prior to renting. You can't claim to decorate the property 7 years ago if you have been living in in ever since, for instance. The expenses must directly relate to the renting out of the property, not your own property maintenance.
  • stefanboro
    Options
    Thanks guys - and to Dean in particular. I found that page just after I asked the question.

And yup TC & PGM - thinking along the exact same lines. I'm normally quite liberal with the definition of allowable but in this case am scratching my head a wee bit.
  • PGM
    Options
    T.C. wrote: Β»
    You need to be careful about what the house was used for prior to renting. You can't claim to decorate the property 7 years ago if you have been living in in ever since, for instance. The expenses must directly relate to the renting out of the property, not your own property maintenance.

Surely if you decorate/repair a few months before moving out, with the intention of preparing it from renting, these costs would be allowable. You'd just have to be careful of pushing it too far!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Yes, quite right, just be careful not to push it. I think that if it were to be checked, you would have to prove intention to let at the decorating stage.
    Newbie Registered Posts: 229 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
  • Dean
    Options
    PGM wrote: Β»
    Surely if you decorate/repair a few months before moving out, with the intention of preparing it from renting, these costs would be allowable. You'd just have to be careful of pushing it too far!

This would be classed as 'getting the property into a lettable state' and wouldn't be allowable. Although, have your tenant move in and then carry out the work..!

Regards

Dean

ps. Newbie pay attention :001_tongue:
  • PGM
    Options
    Dean wrote: Β»
    This would be classed as 'getting the property into a lettable state' and wouldn't be allowable. Although, have your tenant move in and then carry out the work..!

Regards

Dean

ps. Newbie pay attention :001_tongue:

haha thank you Dean. I've been renting out my own property for years so should know this stuff.

What I have claimed for are repairs whilst a property has been empty, but the properties have always been available to let during the period.

From the link above;
    "Thus, after the first property has been let, any later expenditure leading up to the letting of the second and later properties is part of the rental business and can be deducted - provided it meets the conditions outlined at PIM2000 onwards (it is incurred wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, it isn’t capital expenditure etc). "
  • Dean
    Options

..but the properties have always been available to let during the period.

Yeah that's the key. I always look for some kind of 'advertisement'; be it, local, agency etc. This just helps prove to the Revenue the tax payers "intention".

Regards

Dean
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    haha thank you Dean. I've been renting out my own property for years so should know this stuff.

What I have claimed for are repairs whilst a property has been empty, but the properties have always been available to let during the period.

From the link above;
    "Thus, after the first property has been let, any later expenditure leading up to the letting of the second and later properties is part of the rental business and can be deducted - provided it meets the conditions outlined at PIM2000 onwards (it is incurred wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business, it isn’t capital expenditure etc). "

Ooh, this has bearing on my question on rental expenses, I think. Thanks.
Privacy Policy