LinkedIn

Options
Dean
Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
I have started to have a look around this site. Does anyone use it and if so, can you give me any pointers to make use of it?

Also, how has it been of use/benefit to you?

Regards

Dean

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Dean

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing as I have ended up on it but have no idea how to use it.

Jan
  • Dean
    Options
    Hi Jan

No, I don't mind at all. I've done a search on linkedin on these forums and it appears we're not alone.

Regards

Dean
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hello Dean

I have a linkedin Account, but dont use it that much. Mainly for the groups.
    Basically it's like Facebook but for professionals. You can join groups, to share ideas like here and you can create a profile showing what you do now and have done.
    From there you can get connections (freiends) who know through work etc..

I would say keep it proffesional, as others can view basic info on you. I would say it's good if your in practice or MIP, another way of getting your name out there.

Oh, and it doesnt cost a thing
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Dean wrote: ยป
    I have started to have a look around this site. Does anyone use it and if so, can you give me any pointers to make use of it?

Also, how has it been of use/benefit to you?

Regards

Dean

If you start by putting the business contacts you have, it'll start suggesting business contacts they know, or for business you have contacts in. Or for people you know but have just lost contact with..

Not much use for me, but some colleagues have used it for some good networking.

Duedil is another good site which also works with LinkedIn, but also adds business information.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    It's a networking tool; it's all about building a reputation for yourself. I use it in conjunction with Twitter (so, whenever I tweet, the plugin automatically adds that tweet as a LinkedIn update. I was beginning to think I was wasting my time until a client said to me the other day that he'd been looking on my LinkedIn profile and was really impressed with the updates, he said they made it look like we really know what we're about.

So, although I'm yet to get a new client from LinkedIn, I've enhanced my reputation with my existing clients!

The groups are the way to find new business, or so the theory goes. Join groups which you believe will have also been joined by your target clients and, whenever there's a discussion in that group which you have knowlege / experience in, you can contribute: be helpful. Give a bit of advice and, if it looks like you can be of further assistance, arrange to meet up!

Incidentally, you need to have 100% 'completeness' to your profile; 100% complete profiles get a higher ranking on searches.
  • Dean
    Options
    PGM wrote: ยป
    If you start by putting the business contacts you have, it'll start suggesting business contacts they know, or for business you have contacts in. Or for people you know but have just lost contact with..

Not much use for me, but some colleagues have used it for some good networking.

Duedil is another good site which also works with LinkedIn, but also adds business information.

Duedil, this is one I have not heard of before. I'll have a wee peak!

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Options
    It's a networking tool; it's all about building a reputation for yourself. I use it in conjunction with Twitter (so, whenever I tweet, the plugin automatically adds that tweet as a LinkedIn update. I was beginning to think I was wasting my time until a client said to me the other day that he'd been looking on my LinkedIn profile and was really impressed with the updates, he said they made it look like we really know what we're about.

So, although I'm yet to get a new client from LinkedIn, I've enhanced my reputation with my existing clients!

The groups are the way to find new business, or so the theory goes. Join groups which you believe will have also been joined by your target clients and, whenever there's a discussion in that group which you have knowlege / experience in, you can contribute: be helpful. Give a bit of advice and, if it looks like you can be of further assistance, arrange to meet up!

Incidentally, you need to have 100% 'completeness' to your profile; 100% complete profiles get a higher ranking on searches.

Thanks for this Mike! Think I've started to add things to it now.

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Options
    God damn I'm signed up to twitter now too! Life as I know it is over :001_tongue:

Regards

Dean
  • jamesm96
    Options
    God damn I'm signed up to twitter now too! Life as I know it is over :001_tongue:

Regards

Dean

Wahey! What's ur Twitter name?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Mike, I looked at your Twitter the other day, and it's very good, so I'm not surprised you've had positive feedback from it :)

I'm on LinkedIn and use it sporadically. It's good to have a presence on there, so people who do read it can look you up, at the very least. I've tried to make my projile as comprehensive as possible.
  • Dean
    Options
    Wahey! What's ur Twitter name?

I have a Twitter name? Oh dear... :blushing:

Regards

Dean

ps. how do I find this out?
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Your username, Dean, your username.
  • Dean
    Options
    I think it's "dcaccounting".. :huh:
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Am following you. Now you need to tweet something!

I like the copy on your website - but the letters after your name are ATT MATT. I think you're missing an A and have an extra T in there ;)
  • PGM
    Options
    Duedil, this is one I have not heard of before. I'll have a wee peak!

Regards

Dean

Let me know what you think of it. I think its some really good information, especially considering its free and works well in conjunction with LinkIn
  • jamesm96
    Options
    Let me know what you think of it. I think its some really good information, especially considering its free and works well in conjunction with LinkIn

Have I missed something here? I've only ever used DueDil as an easier, quicker and cheaper means of looking up info that I would otherwise have obtained from Companies House.
  • PGM
    Options
    Have I missed something here? I've only ever used DueDil as an easier, quicker and cheaper means of looking up info that I would otherwise have obtained from Companies House.

I got a couple of my colleagues using Duedil, and what they found really handy was the company structures bit, they could use to to see how directors were linked through different companies. One person was trying to find links to a company and found he had on old school friend who was a friend of a director in it.

It's one of them things thats probably really useful to some people but not to others..
  • Dean
    Options
    Am following you. Now you need to tweet something!

I like the copy on your website - but the letters after your name are ATT MATT. I think you're missing an A and have an extra T in there ;)

I haven't actually worked out what a 'tweet' is yet lol!

I have had all-sorts of problems with my website! It was 'hosted' or held with Microsoft small business, then earlier this year they pulled the plug on it! I've got a 'webby tech' client that has currently put something on his servers and recommended I go with wordpress? Again, I have an account here but haven't had the time to sort it all out :(

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Options
    Jenni, I think I've sent you a tweet - though it could well have gone anywhere! Ha
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Wordpress is good. My site (getting a reskin this week, so excited!) is built on Wordpress and it's simple to update content etc. Go for it!

I'm logging into Twitter...
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Wordpress is good. My site (getting a reskin this week, so excited!) is built on Wordpress and it's simple to update content etc. Go for it!

I'm logging into Twitter...

I could not get my site to work when designing on WordPress, I ended up doing mine with Microsoft Publisher and CuteFTP. Fortunately the site host I-Page then have some good basic tools on their site for touching up and moving items around.

I found them really good and they throw in some Google Adwords and facebook advertisiing credit.

I am on Twitter also but don'tuse it, I am on Linkedin and have managed to pick up some work through it.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

I did not think of using Duedil in that way, I use it for my MLR checks for the ICB for new clients.
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi all,

As with lots of social media, I find that they're not necessarily a shortcut to opportunities, but they can yield useful contacts and information if you put the time into them. I'm not saying you need to spend all day every day on LinkedIn, but I am saying it's not quite enough to create a profile and wait for the clients to come rolling in. The 'social' bit is quite important. But then I realise that this is easier if you find the whole notion of this way of communicating interesting (as I do), as opposed to a pain in the rear end (as a lot of people do)!

Anyway, below are some links that might be useful for you if you'd like to learn more about LinkedIn. As with most new things on the internet, it's probably best to set aside a little time and just dive in and see what you can find. Take inspiration from how others use the site, and when it comes to using LinkedIn groups - approach them first and foremost as a place where you are willing to share your knowledge and experience without necessarily expecting reward (rather like you do here).

Also: if you have your own firm, remember that you can set up a page for your company; and you can also ask people you've done business with to recommend you (this tends to be a reciprocal thing). And when you're set up feel free to connect with me :001_smile:

Good luck, and have fun!

Mark Lee articles on how accountants can make the most of LinkedIn

Chris Brogan: Use LinkedIn effectively

Chris Brogan: Write your LinkedIn profile for your future

Stuart
  • Dean
    Options

Thanks for this Stuart! I guess it'll make interesting 'bed time' reading :)

Regards

Dean
Privacy Policy