Ftax vs Taxcalc (or BTC?)

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I've been with FTax since about 2005-06. I have a good relationship with the staff there and I tend to be loyal to my providers. I love how FTax has developed over time, and that they are constantly working on things.

However, this year I'm fed up to the point where it's really impacting on work. The credit code system still isn't working right and we are having no end of issues. On top of that, the website (required for the credit system) is so slow.

I really want to persevere with it as I know that once these issues are fixed, it will be fab.

However, here in the office we are getting to the point where we can't get work out because we can't get tax returns done.

I paid £237.50 with discount for FTax. TaxCalc's equivalent is £400, which is still a decent price - if it's good.

We paid in full for Digita 2 years ago, which was an unmitigated disaster and a right waste of money (no regrets, but don't want to pay out again for software that isn't going to suit, which it didn't).

So - who here uses TaxCalc and please can I get an honest opinion of it? I am seriously thinking of switching...

The other one I hear good things of is BTC. Anyone use that?

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Sorry no experience with TaxCalc but wanted to point out they also have accounts production software which you can trial - you may be able to wangle a deal for a package
  • KenS
    KenS Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I use TaxCalc and love it.

My practice suit of software is:-

Sage 50 and VT+ for bookkeeping

Moneysoft Payroll for.....payroll

VT Final Accounts for......final accounts

TaxCalc Professional for SA100, 800 and CT600

Excel for practice management (thanks JodieR!)

Companies House pdf submission for filing accounts

Dropbox to sync my life and means no server and access to data across my many different devices

My choice for Tax software was extensively researched over on AccountingWeb (boo hiss!) with Tax Calc winning because of it's simplestep input feature. I like things simple and while you can input directly onto a pdf of the tax return (like Ftax) the simplestep option with it's computation wizards (optional) are fantastic.

BTC would have been my second choice due to being able to submit abbreviated accounts directly to companies house but to be honest the online pdf input direct with CH only takes 5 minutes so no big deal.

Oh, and their support is excellent - I emailed them to ask what a copy of TaxCalc 2011 would cost me for my 1 remaining partnership return and they gave it to me free. Can't ask for more than that.

Hope that helps

Ken

p.s. TaxCalc Accounts production gets ripped to shreads on AWeb - as long as there is VT+ in this world won't need to go there anyway.

p.s.s Used to think I wanted my practice to use one provider for everything e.g. Sage - tried that and it was horrrrrrrible. All my eggs are definitely not in one basket.
  • stefanboro
    stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Having tried both and having a relatively small accountancy practice (thus finding it hard to justify higher software fees) let me say...... Taxcalc is mac daddy in my books. Hands down, the peace of mind it gives me that I can just get on and do my job is worth the extra dosh.

Sometimes it's a bit like xbox and playsation - or nowadays Nintendo - fan boys on both sides.
  • KenS
    KenS Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    stefanboro wrote: »

Sometimes it's a bit like xbox and playsation - or nowadays Nintendo - fan boys on both sides.

Very true and a lot of questions like this across all types of forums invariably get answered with...xyzxxx product is the best....just because they own / use it. Sort of a self-interest recommendation.......

Its good when somebody can justify the recommendation or has experience of competitor products - as you have done.

Anyway, Playstation is best, everyone knows that. :lol::lol:

Ken
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    However, this year I'm fed up to the point where it's really impacting on work. The credit code system still isn't working right and we are having no end of issues. On top of that, the website (required for the credit system) is so slow.

Exactly what problems are you having? I've not had any issues with FTax this year. I tried using their 'client management system' but that seemed a bit pants so I just prepare the returns the same way I always have, inporting the previous year's data file into a blank PDF. Only difference this year is I then have to re-enter the UTR at which point it asks if I want to use a credit. And when I try to submit it doesn't automatically import the IR mark but this can just be copied and pasted into the return.

Are you having different problems?
  • stefanboro
    stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    KenS wrote: »
    Anyway, Playstation is best, everyone knows that

Spot on Ken. You can stay.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks folks.
    JodieR wrote: »
    Exactly what problems are you having? I've not had any issues with FTax this year. I tried using their 'client management system' but that seemed a bit pants so I just prepare the returns the same way I always have, inporting the previous year's data file into a blank PDF. Only difference this year is I then have to re-enter the UTR at which point it asks if I want to use a credit. And when I try to submit it doesn't automatically import the IR mark but this can just be copied and pasted into the return.

Are you having different problems?

Very different - but we use Client Manager. Even if we don't, it's still being odd. Anyway, I'm told it should be ok again today. We shall see.

Funny, over on AWeb (why the BooHiss? I like AWeb) they are BTC mad.

If FTax still works, I will stick with it. BTC is way more expensive (and so is TaxCalc, comparatively, but BTC more so).
Privacy Policy