Box 8 on Vat Return- how to correct- no info on HMRC website

Options
imeldabye
imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all, just realised I have overstated box 8 figure on a client's vat return. Makes zero difference to net liability or to any other box on the return. Should I just write telling them? I realised my error when I came to fill in the EC sales list online- so perhaps I need to wait for HMRC to contact me asking why there is a discrepancy between the Box 8 figure and the EC sales list total? What do you reckon? cheers

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    imeldabye wrote: »
    Hi all, just realised I have overstated box 8 figure on a client's vat return. Makes zero difference to net liability or to any other box on the return. Should I just write telling them? I realised my error when I came to fill in the EC sales list online- so perhaps I need to wait for HMRC to contact me asking why there is a discrepancy between the Box 8 figure and the EC sales list total? What do you reckon? cheers

It is normal to have discrepancies between box 8 and ECSLs, e.g. if services are being supplied (you do declare on ECSL but don't declare in box 8), timing differences (ECSL prepared on an invoice basis and VAT return prepared on a cash basis), etc.

If the error is more than £10k I would consider contacting HMRC. If the error is less than £10k I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I guess this highlights the importance of going the VAT return and ECSL together (although I concede that sometimes this may not be possible).

What was the error?
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    If it's a very small error I'd just adjust for it on the next return. If it's going to make the next return look odd then phone the VAT helpline and ask them to make a note of it.
  • imeldabye
    imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Ok so I have conflicting opinions on whether to include services at all on Box 8 and/or ESL. My client has provided services- I have included in Box 8 which I now think might be wrong. Should I include them on the ESL? I have read somewhere on the HMRC site that Guernsey should not be included in Box 8 but it doesn't say anthing about ESL! What is the point of including in Box 8 but not detailing them on ESL?? Perhaps I should just call the revenue and ask? Mind you, that is contingent on them answering the phone :001_unsure:
  • oakley
    oakley Registered Posts: 73 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1083305717 - The Channel Islands are not part of the EU so should not be entered on ECSL or box 8. If you have entered an amount that is large I would call and correct.
Privacy Policy