Help

Options
jasec
jasec Registered Posts: 17 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I know this will probably have been gone over a lot of times before but I am newly qualified & should have the experience to obtain MAAT by mid october.

I want to start in practice probably just bookkeeping to start with slowly building up a client base & services I offer. My problem is I dont know where or how to start, how much insurance I will need, how much to charge, where & how to advertise etc etc.

Any advice from anybody on anything that will help me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jase.

Comments

• villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Options
    My advice try to get a least a couple of years experience, start partime time book keeping. If i gave you a tesco bag full of receipts would you be able to a vat return from it............?? because thats what you will get.
  • jasec
    Options
    Thats what I want to do villapb its the getting started part that I dont know where to start.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jasec wrote: »
    I know this will probably have been gone over a lot of times before but I am newly qualified & should have the experience to obtain MAAT by mid october.

I want to start in practice probably just bookkeeping to start with slowly building up a client base & services I offer. My problem is I dont know where or how to start, how much insurance I will need, how much to charge, where & how to advertise etc etc.

Any advice from anybody on anything that will help me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jase.

I finished AAT in March 2012 after ICAS, got my MAAT certificate in April 2012 and then I:

1) Formed a company on the Companies House website
    2) Got a business bank account with Barclays
    3) Started filling out my MiP application form (log into MyAAT and print this off)
    4) Built my website with Moonfruit
    5) Finish my MiP application form, scanned it and e-mailed it to AAT
    6) Bought some software (VT and Moneysoft; I will get Taxcal soon)
    7) Got my business cards and letter heads
    8) Received my MiP licence in May 2012
    9) Started getting clients (from seminars my bank was running and friends/family) in June 2012

When you start filling out your MiP application form and reading the MiP application form guidance you'll learn about how to get insurance from Trafalgar; re: advertising, you could try leafleting business, e-mailing them, contacting them on linkedin, etc.
  • jasec
    Options
    thanks reader that sounds very helpful
Privacy Policy