ICAS - quick question regarding appendices

Options
Morpheus1980
Morpheus1980 Registered Posts: 120 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hello, hello. After three weeks of blood, sweat and tantrums, I am coming to the end of my ICAS project...hurrah! Just recommendations and cost benefit analysis to do. I've quite enjoyed the research, it's been fun! Also, a nice break from revising for exams.

Only thing is it's massive! This is mainly due to the appendices, so I have a question:

If I'm focusing on the Sales Ledger process in my report, do my appendices only need to relate to that function? See, I've done SWOT analysis, weakness spotting and fraud matrices for all functions within accounts, but did I only need to do so for Sales Ledger?

Any help will be gratefully accepted! x

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hello

You need to include all of your appendices, well that is my understanding, and I am guessing you would have made reference to them in your report? Remember, they do not form part of the word count.

Good luck.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Morpheus1980
    Options
    Thanks Jo. I have made reference to them in my report but I guess my point is that if I'm concentrating on the Sales Ledger in the report, would I really need to include appendices or analysis on Purchase Ledger, Wages, Banking etc? I've pretty much done a review of the whole accounting department in the appendices!

Basically, I'm thinking that the analysis that I have done in the appendices is surplus to requirements as it does not relate to the Sales Ledger function, which is my main focus of the report. I can easily remove the references in the report to the appendices that I'm thinking of removing.

I hope this makes sense! I know that the appendices do not form part of the word count - just as well really, because I've got so much stuff in the appendix!

Anyway, how's your ICAS report coming along, Jo?
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Hi Morpheus,

The SWOT analysis is for all the accounting functions, so it's best to do 1-2 strengths &weaknesses, for each
    function e.g. purchase ledger, payroll. The SWOT doesn't need to be massive, as Jo said it doesn't form part
    of the word count but it's still required for the project.

As your coming towards the end of your project, just remember to make sure all points are covered on
    the mapping sheet. Also you only need to make recommendations and the cost benefit analysis on
    the sales ledger department - you may already know but just incase :thumbup1:

Any thoughts on which module your going to be studying next :)
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Morpheus1980
    Options
    Thanks Aaron. I've already done the SWOT on all the accounting functions, so that's all sorted. I've also done fraud matrices for all accounting functions. Mapping sheet is also nearly done (just a couple of points to go that will be signed off once I've done the recommendations/cost benefit analysis)

If I point out all these weaknesses in the appendices, will I have to make recommendations and cost benefit analysis on all of them, or just the ones that I mention in the report?

Sorry for all this confusion! I've worked so hard on the report that it's turned my mind to mush and not really using my common sense!

Next on the agenda is FNPF. Saving Cash Management until last as I did it under the old standards last year (but failed!) so I think it will be a nice thing to finish on as I'm already familiar with the content.
  • aaron0121
    Options
    No need to be sorry!!!!!!!
    We're all students at the end of the day and it's quite easy to get muddled on what you need to do. Theres a lot
    of information to take in, so after reading through the scenario. I always think its best to highlight specific
    sections of the scenario, that would help to write about the function you've chosen.
    If you point out weaknesses for the sales ledger in your report then make the recommendations and
    cost benefit analysis on how to overcome all those weaknesses. So if you find 3 weaknesses for the sales ledger
    try and make recommendations for all these weaknesses. For some recommendations won't require a cost to
    implement, however for one recommendation you may feel a cost is required - so that would go in the cost
    benefit analysis. e.g price of installing software, training staff.

If you have spotted any other weaknesses in the sales ledger which you've discussed in the appendices
    then still try and make recommendations. To be honest I always think it's best to try and make a
    recommendation for all the weaknesses spotted, as you're only going to be focusing on one function - so try and
    analyse as much as you can for that function :thumbup1:
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Morpheus1980
    Options
    Perfect, thanks so much Aaron! That's pretty much what I thought, but just wanted to be sure.

Right, let's see if I can knock this baby into shape over the next few days! I can see why people get a little irate with ICAS, but on the whole, it's not too bad. How did you find yours?
  • aaron0121
    Options
    To be honest at the start when reading the scenario, there is a lot of information to take in. So I was really
    confused on how to start and where to start :lol: Once I read the scenario & looked over a couple of practise
    assessments, it starts to make sense on what you need to do. So all in all, it's not too bad once you get
    started :)

Get that first draft complete :thumbup1:

If you're unsure or confused on anything, keeping posting up on the forums.
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
Privacy Policy