A Stupid Question ???

Options
jane
jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi Guys

This may be a daft question but once we have completed the AAT, am I correct in assuming that we can call ourselves AAT qualified Accountants?

:001_unsure:
Jane

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    If you have completed the exams, submitted your work experience and full membership application then you are a MAAT.

The whole debate about use of the word "accountant" keeps rumbling on since it is not a protected term in the UK. Absolutely anyone call call themselves an accountant.
  • Pinchy
    Pinchy Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    No I'm pretty sure you would be a qualified Accounting Technician but not an qualified Chartered Accountant until you've continued onto CIPFA/CIMA/ACCA.
  • jane
    jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Pinchy wrote: ยป
    No I'm pretty sure you would be a qualified Accounting Technician but not an qualified Chartered Accountant until you've continued onto CIPFA/CIMA/ACCA.

Hi Pinchy

I know we wouldn't be a qualified Chartered Accountant, as you quite rightly say the term Chartered would only be for CIPFA/CIMA/ACCA. I see quite a few job adverts for AAT Qualified Accountants, and was just merely asking if when I have finished, if can regard myself as a AAT Qualified Accountant?
    Any input from others would be appreciated. I just don't want to be calling myself something that I am not that's all. :001_smile:

Regards
    Jane
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    In terms of the job roles mentioned I'd say by AAT Qualified Accountants they just mean AAT qualified, so you'd fit there.

In reality, I wouldn't call myself an accountant because it could lead to confusion. But like uknitty said, it's not protected so you CAN call yourself an accountant.
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    The lady in my work who does bookkeeping, payments to suppliers, month end, year end procedures, vat returns, accruals prepayments and many more has got no qualification whatsoever and she calls herself and everybody else calls her 'an accountant'. I think it's not the qualification that makes you an accountant, it's the knowledge and experience. But yes I think I'm going to call myself AAT qualified accounting technician when I finish my AAT.
Privacy Policy