Query on employment funding?

Options
MWAUGH1983
MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,

If someone was getting funding for studies is it the norm to only pay it back if you start the course before leaving employment?

If someone had secured a contract but then secured a new job before the start course would it be the case that the provider would issue a credit to the employer?

Martin

Comments

• SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I am being supported for Level 4, and I've been told that if I leave the company within 2 years, I will have to pay them back in full. If I leave the company before the course starts, but they have already paid, then the same rule will apply.
  • Jake Bousfield
    Jake Bousfield Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    SamiH wrote: »
    I am being supported for Level 4, and I've been told that if I leave the company within 2 years, I will have to pay them back in full. If I leave the company before the course starts, but they have already paid, then the same rule will apply.

Same rule applies with me... i believe you have to sign a contract though, otherwise the employer doesn't really have a foot to stand on legally.
  • stephleedz
    stephleedz Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Same rules apply for me also but mine is 1 year not 2. My friend who is in the same position as me, she has just been offered another job, her present employer has already paid the £2k ish for her to start ACCA so she has to give the £2k back to her present employer then her new employer has agreed to reimburse her so she doesn't actually end up paying anything herself of that makes sense?
  • Sammmy88
    Sammmy88 Registered Posts: 283 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    SamiH wrote: »

This also applies to me too!!! I have signed a contract etc..
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    MWAUGH1983 wrote: »
    would it be the case that the provider would issue a credit to the employer?

Why would the provider refund the course cost to the employer? The same terms and conditions apply no matter who is funding the course, if the provider gives refunds then they'll refund the employer but if they don't give refunds then they won't refund the employer.
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    It completely depends on the study agreement you've signed into and the clauses.

My old employer did not supply a study agreement so I paid nothing back to them when I left - however my new company paid a portion of the course fees to my old company which were time apportioned in line with my employment dates.

My new company has a clause that if I leave within one year of sitting my last exam, I would have to repay all the study support. Don't think I'm going anywhere anytime soon!! Good thing that I love my job. :)
  • zhulme
    zhulme Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    hiya!

you're very lucky to have the support from your employer. Ive been in my current role for a year now and have been denied both any study time and help for progression onto cima (only 1 unit left on level 4). Not impressed as i was promised this on acceptance of the job (sadly not in my contract) and its really got me down in the dumps why should i qualify for them to reap the benefits and still pay me the same shitty salary, its really put a bad feeling in the office and especially between myself and my boss considering theres another lady in the office at a lower level than me who gets all her funding and as much time out for study as she likes. subsequently im looking for a new job! lol
Privacy Policy