Can I call myself an Accounting Technician after level 4?

rhianrhian Feels At HomePosts: 57Registered
Hi all, I hope someone can help me as I'm a bit confused!

I've completed level 3 but yet to start 4. I've decided that accounting is not for me and I'm just not enjoying it. I will instead be applying to be a teacher in September '13 which I think I am much more suited for!

So basically I have a year to "waste" if you like. My parents think I should complete the whole AAT course seeing as I only have one level left and it'd be a shame to quit now- even if I don't want a career in accountancy. I completely see where they're coming from, but I just want to know- would this level 4 qualification even mean anything without work experience? Would I automatically be "MAAT" and be able to call myself an accounting technician? Or is it just as useful as the Level 3 diploma I currently hold?

If I did need work experience- how much?

Thank you!! :)

Comments

  • aaron0121aaron0121 Trusted Regular BirminghamPosts: 422Registered
    Hi Rhian,

    To become an MAAT member you would need to have completed the level 4 qualification and also have at
    least 12 months experience in accounts. tbh I think you could call yourself an accounting technician after you've
    completed level 4 as it's the technician level.
    Are you going to be doing a degree in teaching at uni or do you already have a teaching qualification?
    AAT

    Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

    ACCA

    F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • SashaDellaSashaDella Trusted Regular Posts: 362Registered
    What are you going to teach? If you have a year off you could try get some teaching experience in the meantime!

    It would be worth completing the AAT as then you have it under your belt and if you change your mind again you have something to fall back on. But you also have to do whats best for you!

    Take some time out :)
  • rhianrhian Feels At Home Posts: 57Registered
    Thank you!! I have been working as a trainee accountant for 2 days a week (3 days a week in college) since September last year, and from next month that will go up to 5 days a week (when I should be doing level 4 in my own time). I just don't know if it's worth the effort of all the level 4 exams and the project if I really don't enjoy it and I won't be using it in the end. And also the extra cost. My parents just worry it won't look good on my CV if I "drop out" after level 3.

    I'm applying for uni courses to be a maths teacher. I have a mathematics degree and I really miss doing that kind of thing!
  • rhianrhian Feels At Home Posts: 57Registered
    I've put my name down for a few volunteering spots- I've heard nothing yet but I suppose since the term hasn't started it's going to be a bit quiet! Hopefully I get something :)

    I completely understand what you mean. I guess only I can really decide what to do on this one!
  • uknittyuknitty Experienced Mentor Posts: 591Registered
    Whereabouts in the UK are you based ?
  • readerreader Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,039MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    rhian wrote: »
    Hi all, I hope someone can help me as I'm a bit confused!

    I've completed level 3 but yet to start 4. I've decided that accounting is not for me and I'm just not enjoying it. I will instead be applying to be a teacher in September '13 which I think I am much more suited for!

    So basically I have a year to "waste" if you like. My parents think I should complete the whole AAT course seeing as I only have one level left and it'd be a shame to quit now- even if I don't want a career in accountancy. I completely see where they're coming from, but I just want to know- would this level 4 qualification even mean anything without work experience? Would I automatically be "MAAT" and be able to call myself an accounting technician? Or is it just as useful as the Level 3 diploma I currently hold?

    If I did need work experience- how much?

    Thank you!! :)

    If teaching is what you want to do then you shouldn't worry about doing AAT Level 4.

    You should probably concentrate on your PGCE/UCAS application and preparing for your PGCE interview, i.e. learning about pedagogy, different learning styles, different teaching methods, differentiation (not the maths kind!), brushing up on your subject knowledge, learning about behaviour management techniques, current debates in (maths) education, getting work experience, etc. These things will be infinitely more important to you than doing AAT Level 4.

    I think your parents fears are completely unfounded, most people in the non-accountancy world would not have heard of AAT and therefore would not have a clue that 'only' doing Level 3 meant dropping out. To be honest, you haven't dropped out, you have just changed career.

    Good luck whatever you decide

    You might find the following website useful: www.tes.co.uk
  • rhianrhian Feels At Home Posts: 57Registered
    uknitty- I am based in North Wales but will be applying for PGCE courses throughout Wales :)
    reader wrote: »
    .....

    Woah thank you so much for all of this- I've already put together a file of different maths rules and examples etc which I can practise and brush up on over the next year- I just didn't realise there was so much more I could do!

    As for the AAT- I think you definitely have a point. I'd heard of ACA and ACCA before I started accounting but it took quite a bit of research to find AAT (maybe this was just my ignorance, mind!)


    Thank you very much to everyone, you've helped a lot :D
  • readerreader Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,039MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    rhian wrote: »
    Woah thank you so much for all of this- I've already put together a file of different maths rules and examples etc which I can practise and brush up on over the next year- I just didn't realise there was so much more I could do!

    Impressive- if you keep doing this for a year on top of all the necessary reading re: pedagogy, learning styles, teaching methods, education news, etc you'll fly through your PGCE (a lot of people struggle during their PGCE- it's a very intense 10 months, i.e. Sept 2013 to June 2014).
  • rhianrhian Feels At Home Posts: 57Registered
    reader wrote: »
    Impressive- if you keep doing this for a year on top of all the necessary reading re: pedagogy, learning styles, teaching methods, education news, etc you'll fly through your PGCE (a lot of people struggle during their PGCE- it's a very intense 10 months, i.e. Sept 2013 to June 2014).

    Thank you for the confidence- I'm so excited to get into it! :)
  • uknittyuknitty Experienced Mentor Posts: 591Registered
    I'm in North Wales too - in Wrexham :)

    Where are you thinking of doing your PGCE ? Are you going to carry on working in accounts for the next 12 months until you start uni ? If so have you considered completing level 4 via distance learning so that it frees up your college days maybe to do some tutoring or similar ?
  • garfieldgarfield New Member Posts: 10Registered
    Hi
    It's up to you whether you do Level 4 or not, but I don't think many employers would see it as 'dropping out.' I have one exam to do to complete Level 4, but my cv just says 'AAT Intermediate' as I took of all the blurb about being nearly completed as I've dragged my feet a bit (two new jobs and a wedding distracted me :001_smile:) At interviews, few employers even for accounting roles commented on it. I also went to college with a few people who never continued after Level 3, as they felt that was as much as they needed for the roles they were in.
Sign In or Register to comment.