VAT on top of train expense form

Options
EMPG
EMPG Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi there,

Why would you add vat on the top of a train ticket amount on the cash expense form?

i.e. Train ticket paid by staff: £67.80, VAT added on the expense form £13.56. Expense paid back to the staff memeber £81.36.

Thanks

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    There's no vat for public transport. So you wouldn't?
  • EMPG
    EMPG Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    That is the logic answer - Thank you; I will have to ask the Financial controller who is who prepared the form.

Thanks
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Not on an expense claim, no.

If you were billing that on to the client, then you would add VAT (it's not a disbursement) but you reimburse the employee what they paid for it.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Not on an expense claim, no.

If you were billing that on to the client, then you would add VAT (it's not a disbursement) but you reimburse the employee what they paid for it.

So you always add vat to travel when billing it on as a service?

I've seen it billed to us as a separate item without vat. So never been sure..
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    This comes under the disbursements rule.

If you incur an expense and bill it on to a client, and you're VAT registered, then:

Your fees : VATable.

A cost you incur on behalf of them (that they 'enjoyed') e.g. when I pay the £14 Companies House filing fee for an Annual Return on behalf of a client - this is a disbursement and you don't have to add VAT.

A cost you incur that you enjoyed, not them, e.g. you sat on a train for the meeting, you slept in the hotel, these are not disbursements and if I remember it correctly you have to add VAT.
Privacy Policy