Osteopath treatment for hairdresser...wholly and exclusively?

Options
Sarah-Lou
Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I seem to be collecting hairdresser clients lol This one regularly sees an osteopath as the 'positions I work in as a hairdresser affect my back'.

Yes or no?

Interested to hear your opinions!

Sarah-Lou

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I seem to be collecting hairdresser clients lol This one regularly sees an osteopath as the 'positions I work in as a hairdresser affect my back'.

Yes or no?

Interested to hear your opinions!

Sarah-Lou

I would say not allowable because the treatment isn't exclusively for work, i.e. she will gain from improved back posture outside of 9:00am - 5:30pm.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I don't think that would be allowable either
  • Sarah-Lou
    Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    that is what I thought but I got 'my old accountant blah blah blah....' you know the type lol

When I first took over her accounts and looked through the previous ones the kind of 'treatments' that put through you would believe - osteopath, life coaching and various others :ohmy:

Sarah-Lou
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    No. A bricklayer can't claim for bad treatment because he bends around all day can he?
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I'll add another no!

Some accountants really don't know what they are doing, or are really scared of losing clients to the point they may get in big trouble!

I did a tax return for a guy a few weeks ago, his previous accountant had filled in his tax return with around ยฃ300k salary and dividends from his personal company which was the only income on the previous year return. Lo and behold, he actually has somewhere to store this puny amount of money (ie a bank) so has fairly reasonable bank interest, and he was surprised I asked about it and put it on the return! (In fairness though he was more annoyed at the old accountant and never once tried to hide to get me to leave it off).
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A definite no from me.

If it's a yes, I will be able to claim a fortune back for all the treatment I have on my back for sitting at a computer all the time!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I had a pub client who insisted they could claim for all their clothes and wouldn't believe that they couldn't so in the end I put it in their accounts and just added it back in the tax comp! I told them that I did this and they didn't care - they just wanted to see them in their accounts!!!

The point of my story is, has the accountant added it back in the tax comp?
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I believe that the reason this isn't allowable is that HMRC don't view your body as an item of machinery and therefore you cannot claim for 'repairs'. It is your personal responsibility that your body is fit and able to perform the duties required from your work. This is why glasses, medical bills and cosmetic surgery are very rarely allowable. There are a few exceptions to this which are mentioned in the business income manual.
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Could she continue as a hairdresser if she stopped having the treatment?

If the answer is a definite "no" then you could argue that the treatment is essential to performing her work as a hairdresser.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Disallowable. Assuming she uses her back outside of work.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Could she continue as a hairdresser if she stopped having the treatment?

If the answer is a definite "no" then you could argue that the treatment is essential to performing her work as a hairdresser.

Then everything would be allowable, she could say, "I couldn't be a hairdresser if I couldn't eat, therefore my weekly Tesco shop is allowable", or "I couldn't be a hairdresser if I didn't have teeth to eat with, therefore my dental costs are allowable", etc. My understanding is that if she is using her back outside of work the back treatment fails the exclusively test.
Privacy Policy