Bookeeping Rate

Options
Pixie1
Pixie1 Registered Posts: 24 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi All,

Just wanted some advice on what to charge for a bookkeeping job I have to price up.

Basically, what is required:
Excel spreadsheet each month with ins and outs.
Vat return Quarterly
Invoicing (very rarely)
Chasing the odd outstanding debt

I am told there are a few transactions each week and should take a maximum of two hours per week.

I have read monsoons post on what to charge which I have found really usueful, however I am still a little unsure what to quote on this one??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks:001_smile:

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    For jobs like this I would charge £20 per hour plus mileage if I was traveling to the client to do the work. If you're only going for 2 hours then make sure you get some compensation for your travelling, especially if you've got far to go. If the client is bringing the work to you then obviously this isn't an issue.
  • Pixie1
    Options
    Hi Jodie,

Thanks for your reply. I will be getting the info electronically eventually so there maybe a little travel to start with, but don't imagine it would be ongoing.

It doesn't seem a lot of work so didn't want to overcharge etc.

Many Thanks
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Just remember if it's taking up a chunk of your day then it's taking up a chunk of your day.

Say it's two hours and you start at 9.30am. That takes you through til 11.30am. Can you fill your time between then and lunch? Obviously if you're a travelling bookkeeper, maybe not, but if you work from home, then maybe you can.

Also, this:
    I am told there are a few transactions each week and should take a maximum of two hours per week.

If I had a quid for every time I'm told it's straightforward and it isn't....!!

Build some time into your quote for discovering this might not be the case!! Also remember things like credit control etc can be quick or take ages. And don't forget the odd "funny" that takes an extra half hour to straighten out.

£40 per week give or take might be about right. £39 sounds nicer :lol:
  • Pixie1
    Options
    Thanks for your advise monsoon :-)

Least I have some recommendations to go on now. Will get the quotation over to them.

Many thanks
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would definately be charging this on an hourly basis rather than a fixed fee - I usually find you get through about 80% of the work in 20% of the time and then as monsoon says there's one or two things which take ages to sort out.
    If they're paying you hourly they'll be more likely to arrange the information nice and neatly for you and won't sneak in too many nasties. If you find after a few months that it's very consistant then you could switch to fixed fee but make sure you agree exactly what that fee does & doesn't include.
Privacy Policy