Personal Allowances for non Residents

Options
groundy
groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I have a husband and wife client that use to run a business in the UK but have emigrated to NZ a few years ago. They still own the company and the property (which the company pays a rent to Mr&Mrs).

The husband was born in Britain and therefore I believe I can claim personal allowances on the basis that living in NZ he is part of the Commonwealth, although I may have misunderstood that one.

The real problem is the wife who was born in US and they are both now settled permanently in NZ. Therefore am I right in thinking that she can not claim any personal allowances in UK.

I would be most grateful for any help as this is starting to hurt my head!!!!

Comments

• groundy
    Options
    No takers?
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    *quick on the train iPhone reply*

I think what you're saying is correct.

I believe the PA is a given for a Domiciled person so whether that person is non-resident for that tax year doesn't matter. You would of course need to check to make sure they haven't changed their domicilary.

Wifey being a non-dom and non-res = no PA.

Regards

Dean
  • groundy
    Options
    Cheers Dean, thats what I thought
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Agreed, my understanding is that british citizens get a PA even if they're non resident.

Other nationalities depend - some europeans and commonweath get a PA.

Others just plain do not, like the wife.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    What passport(s) do they hold? If the wife has a British or EU passport then she will be fine to claim PAs. Is she a US citizen or just born there?

[Edited to add: Full list of qualifying situations here.. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r43-notes.pdf]
  • groundy
    Options
    Dean

She was born in US and lived there for a large part of her life until moving to UK with her husband. The husband was born in UK and holds UK passport but raised in US. They have both now settled in NZ. I will query if she holds a British passport but I dont it. The link you attached appears broken but thanks

Ste
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
Privacy Policy