VAT - Flat Rate Scheme

Options
Natsmomma
Natsmomma Registered Posts: 39 Epic contributor 🐘
This is my first encounter with this scheme, so please forgive my ignorance!

A new client uses it and their previous accountant used to rework the VAT at year end according to 'normal rules' and post a VAT saving as a minus overhead figure in the P & L (thus reducing overheads, but effectively increasing Corporation Tax payable). This seems odd to me, given that all liabilities have been accounted for within the VAT scheme chosen, but are they right to do this?

If I'm being thick, please excuse me!!!

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    If I am understanding correctly then the only way I think you would possibly do this is if the client still entered all the overheads as net of VAT.

Far simpler to enter everything gross and then calculate the FRS VAT each quarter and journal it in.
    Regards,

Burg
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    This is common practice to show the VAT saving on FRS and yes corporation tax would be payable.

For Example:

Invoice £1000 + £200 VAT to customer - customer pays £1200

FRS (eg 12%) £1200 * 12% = £144 VAT paid therefore your client has made an "additional profit" of £56 which is subject to corporation tax.

It is usually done this way were there is a sales ledger in place. When it is cash accounting and no debtors then yes you would just post gross and adjust for the FRS output VAT.

Hope this is clear :001_smile:
  • Natsmomma
    Natsmomma Registered Posts: 39 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ah, thank you Groundy. It makes a lot more sense now as you're talking about the VAT saved purely on sales which is profit and therefore liable to Corporation Tax.

Go it, thanks!!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Convention is to post it to turnover, rather than a negative overhead.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I see now what the question is at. Yes I follow and agree to sales/turnover rather than an overhead.
    Regards,

Burg
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    Convention is to post it to turnover, rather than a negative overhead.

Although I've seen it many of times shown on a seperate line I agree with Dean.

HMRC recommend you to net it off with turnover as this will obviously be your net sales.

Plus it's a bit misleading calling it a vat saving as you have lossed claims of input tax aswell...
Privacy Policy