I've gone Ltd!

Options
JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Exciting day here today... I now have a very pretty logo and new website (www.reedswood.co.uk), although mostly everything else will stay the same! If you're into that sort of thing please 'like' me on facebook as i'm intrigued to know what changes when I get to 30 likes.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reedswood-Bookkeeping-Accountancy-Ltd/111314115684901

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    JodieR wrote: »
    Exciting day here today... I now have a very pretty logo and new website (www.reedswood.co.uk), although mostly everything else will stay the same! If you're into that sort of thing please 'like' me on facebook as i'm intrigued to know what changes when I get to 30 likes.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reedswood-Bookkeeping-Accountancy-Ltd/111314115684901

Great website- it's good to see MiPs flourishing (especially for someone like me who is just starting out).

Well done.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Great website Jodie :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • LynWest
    LynWest Registered Posts: 122 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Congratulations :) x
  • JJH1969
    JJH1969 Registered Posts: 110 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Well done - thats fantastic!
  • JodieR
    Options
    Aww thanks guys!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I really like it Jodie! Congrats! Welcome to the generous world of £632.50 a month salary :lol:
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Jodie, I'm amazed you haven't incorporated sooner :huh:

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Options
    JodieR wrote: »
    i'm intrigued to know what changes when I get to 30 likes.

I'm intrigued by this also. Let me know what does happen :)

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    I really like it Jodie! Congrats! Welcome to the generous world of £632.50 a month salary :lol:

Sure this'll be a debate sparker but isn't this under the NIC PT? I think you want to be tip-toeing just over the threshold don't you? We run this at £635 per month.

Regards

Dean
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Dean wrote: »
    We run this at £635 per month.

As do we, agree with Dean, just to get the debate started.

Apologies to OP for going off topic and congrats.
  • JodieR
    Options
    I'm with Monsoon - you only need to be over the Lower Earnings limit of £5564 to make a qualifying year so you want a salary between £5564 and £7592 annually (£464 and £632 monthly) for optimum NIC wangling.
  • JodieR
    Options
    Dean wrote: »
    Jodie, I'm amazed you haven't incorporated sooner :huh:

Regards

Dean

You're probably right, I should have done it before but I wanted everything to be a bit more organised before I did it, and while there's still tweaks to be made I think now was a good time to do it!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I can't remember my reasoning for £632.50 but I did work it out at the time. I just checked and it's just below the Primary threshold, meaning no employee's NICs - no need to give HMRC free money.

It's marginally more tax efficient to pay over the secondary threshold and pay the employers NI.
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    We do £624 per month, so no NI to pay employers or employees
  • reader
    Options
    I've prepared a rough excel spreadsheet and assuming a flat 20% corp tax rate:

Gold medal goes to the salary of £632.50/month which gives a tax saving of £1,506.74

Silver medal goes to the salary of £635.00/month which gives a tax saving of £1,506.07

And in last place is the salary £624.00/month which gives a tax saving of £1,497.60

However the £624/month is the lowest maintenance salary, i.e. no need to contact the client about a (£14.08 or £21.58) NIC liability and is the one I go for.

By the way the above calculations are for ATT revision purposes/procrastination.
  • JodieR
    Options
    reader wrote: »
    However the £624/month is the lowest maintenance salary, i.e. no need to contact the client about a (£14.08 or £21.58) NIC liability and is the one I go for.

I concur. Unless they're paying over Tax & NI for other employees anyway, this is much less hassle for me & clients.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    reader wrote: »
    I've prepared a rough excel spreadsheet and assuming a flat 20% corp tax rate:

Gold medal goes to the salary of £632.50/month which gives a tax saving of £1,506.74

Silver medal goes to the salary of £635.00/month which gives a tax saving of £1,506.07

And in last place is the salary £624.00/month which gives a tax saving of £1,497.60

Huzzah! My maths is right :D

I agree, it's lower maintenance to keep below the threshold; depends on the client as to which I use, but mostly it's £632.50

Reader, did you factor in Employee's NI in there?
  • reader
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Huzzah! My maths is right :D

I agree, it's lower maintenance to keep below the threshold; depends on the client as to which I use, but mostly it's £632.50

Reader, did you factor in Employee's NI in there?

Yeah, that's what makes the £632.50/month salary better at tax avoidance, because £14.08 of E'er NIC becomes payable at £632.50/month. Therefore overall expense (compared to £624.00/month) increases by £116.08 (i.e. £8.50 x 12 + £14.08) and therefore extra ct relief at 20% on the £116.08 is £23.22.

However take into account that £14.08 becomes payable, therefore overall tax relief in comparison to £624/month salary is: £23.22 - £14.08 = £9.14 (i.e. £1,506.74 - £1,497.60).

Interesting, I calculate that a salary of £632.67/month helps a tax payer to avoid paying £1,506.92 of tax (i.e. a new gold medalist; therefore £624/month doesn't even medal).
  • Dean
    Options
    I won't bother to check the maths but to keep things going...

What you're saying is; waste £30 (£635.00-£632.50*12) of the clients' tax fee allowance and the company has missed out on a further £6 CT deduction (£30*0.2).

The reason we tip toe over is an ethical one. Although the NIC being paid is extremely small in comparison to a 'normal' employee, the directors can honestly walk into A&E thinking they are at least contributing...

Regards

Dean
  • Lindylou
    Lindylou Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Congratulations!
    What was the basis of your decision & how do you think it is better than being non-ltd? Am toying with the idea myself.
  • JodieR
    Options
    Lindylou wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    What was the basis of your decision & how do you think it is better than being non-ltd? Am toying with the idea myself.

When I started working for myself it happened very suddenly and I had to think of a business name in a day. I went with 'accounts by jodie' because it started with an 'a' so would be at the top in the yellow pages. tbh i never really liked it as a name, and less so when I realised it shortened to A BJ! But I didn't want to change it too soon as I didn't want it to look like something had gone wrong and i needed to change my name.
    Now that I've got an apprentice working for me it felt wrong having my name so dominently in the business name, I want him to feel more part of the business, so that it's about us instead of me, so that was one reasons to change, also when I saw what my payments on account would be in Jan if I stayed a sole trader it confirmed that this was the right decision!
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    We usually look at incorporating once a client is making £25k profit upwards. There are tax savings to be had below that figure but these can sometimes be less than the increase in our fees.
Privacy Policy