"Part Qualified Accountant"?

Options
Emily
Emily Registered Posts: 25 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi, I have seen various jobs online under the heading "Part Qualified Accountant"... and was wondering if an AAT qualified person would come under this description? Or does it refer to those doing ACA/ACCA type qualifications?

(If this is true and AAT qualified counts as "P-Q"..... I am getting paid about £10k less than I should be haha :001_rolleyes: )

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It means different things to different people but generally it means you have done the 'intermediate' stages of a Chartered qualification so are (roughly) one years study away from completion.

Of course, as a full AAT member, if you think you are well suited to the position then don't let semantics put you off.
  • Emily
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) Yes, that is what I thought... I have seen a lot of positions that i think i would be suitable for, as I have about 5 years' experience of working in practice as well... finally got round to getting the aat qualification to reflect that! Thanks :)
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I don't think you can be "technically" part qualified because it doesn't have a specific enough commonly held definition. I think what Dean says is accurate; I tend to interpret it as having completed some exams from ACCA/CIMA/ICAEW/ICAS/ICAI/CIPFA. But also there's an implication that you would be continuing to do the rest of the exams. Whereas it's more common for people who have finished the AAT to decide not to pursue additional qualifications.

If you see it on a job description and your experience matches what they're after, go for it. Otherwise it's too broad a term to rely on.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    I can't comment on the other quali's, but I'm ACA part qualified. The ACA has two distinct stages to the qualification; the professional stage, followed by the advanced stage. So the general concensus on the ACA syllabus is that once you've achieved the professional stage, you refer to yourself as part-qualified.

I'm not sure I'd say that being AAT qualified is quite the same as being PQ; I actually became an MAAT by virtue of being ACA part-qualified (I was exempted from all bar the PCT). However it doesn't work the other way round; and MAAT doesn't get exempted from the professional stage of the ACA. Instead, I'd be inclined to refer to yourself as being 'qualified'! Like Dean said, you've got a good qualification, don't under-sell yourself on the basis of what other other people's perceptions.
  • Emily
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'm going to go for it and apply for a few jobs next year!!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Good luck.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Personally I would say chartered > qbe > pq (i.e. has done f1- f9 for acca or equivalent) > maat (although I could be wrong).
  • esimps
    esimps Registered Posts: 15 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I've been involved with recruiting part-qualified accountants in the past and we've always taken this to mean an accountant who has attained the intermediate stage of either ACCA/CIMA/ICAEW/ICAS/ICAI/CIPFA.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    reader wrote: »
    Personally I would say chartered > qbe > pq (i.e. has done f1- f9 for acca or equivalent) > maat (although I could be wrong).

But an experienced MAAT will be as good as a QBE, surely?* You can't put these things into a linear form :)

*There are good and bad of all qualifications etc etc etc
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    But an experienced MAAT will be as good as a QBE, surely?

I should have written newly qualified MAAT (an experienced MAAT would be up with the qbe).

More importantly, what is that thing on your head in the photo?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    They are dreadlocks :D
Privacy Policy