Studying for AAT Level 2 at 65+

Options
leswgardner
leswgardner Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I have a background as a computer consultant on Sage products. Although I know accounts it was not my top speciality. I have been forced to stop direct Computer consultancy but want to carry on working.
I have for some time thought that taking the AAT Level 2 course would be a way to continue working in a similar but not the same way.

Do you think it is feasible at my age both to study and to find employment opportunities.

Regards
Les

Comments

• marinaweg
    marinaweg Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Go for it! Any initiative will give you an advantage, I think experience and maturity count for a lot, most rural companies go for older applicants because they are usually more reliable. I started AAT level 2 three years ago, at the age of 48, going to college and passed all exams first time. I had day release from my accountancy firm because I wanted to get back in to studying gradually, but if you have enough experience you should start at level 3. I only have the ICAS project left to finish my qualification and feel much more secured in my job and also more secure for my future, knowing that if I lose my job I could atleast set myself up as a bookkeeper from home.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I agree with marinaweg, if you feel you want to go for it, I am 45 and just started level 4. Why because you've reached a certain age should you be told your on the scrap heap. Doing level 2 would give you a certificate in it's on right and the possability of doing bookkeeping etc then it would be upto you of you want to continue. We have a gentleman in our college class who is 60. Also with the new rules on agism coming into force yesterday also companies cannot peanalise on age.

Good luck

Jan
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello Les

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Marina and Jan - go for it if this is something which interests you. There is nothing to lose and all to gain :o

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Les

I say go for it. As long as you enjoy it. I am 54 and I am still studying, I am doing level 4. I am not ready for the scrap heap just yet and I have only been doing accounts for 5 years.....

Good Luck and please us know how you get on...

Jennie
    x
  • James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    Options
    Hi Les,

I think you wanting to study AAT is great and best of luck to you :)

I think you may struggle in terms of employment opportunities though; finding a job without any experience in accounts, unless you really play on what you know will be hard.

I would look into what opportunities you think you could take up putting yourself in the position of having completed AAT. And ask yourself is it worth it?

Kind regards,
Privacy Policy