Website bounce rate

Options
Hi all. I haven't had my website too long and am fairly happy with its look and the content.

However my bounce rate IE people who only visit the first page is 78%. This seems quite high and i read that 50% is average and if you have 80+ then must be doing something wrong. Although I am sure that this is generalising and not taking into account different sectors.

Any views on this?

Cheers

Comments

• RobClarke
    RobClarke Registered Posts: 820
    Options
    No correct answer here as too many variables could come into it. When you say your bounce rate is high -

Do you know if the rate is for any particular page on your site or, are you assuming it is always the home page?

Do you know how many bots are visiting your site at the moment?

If you could post the site in question it may help.
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

Yes I mean the homepage.

How do I check the bots, sorry I'm not familliar with the term.

Thanks
  • RobClarke
    Options
    all depends on what software reporting software you are using (ie what have you been using thats told you about your bounce rate)

pm your site address and I will have a quick look when I can
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I think the 'bounce rate' (not heard that expression before) is meaningless.

If your website is geared to convert visitors into enquiries then that should all happen on the homepage and you do not necessarily want your visitors wandering off elsewhere.

In fact, if your homepage does everything you need it to then the higher the bounce rate the better!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options

In fact, if your homepage does everything you need it to then the higher the bounce rate the better!

I disagree - you want someone to click on the "contact us" link, surely?! ;)
  • RobClarke
    Options
    Bounce rate is important but you should also be able to see the amount of time each visitor spends on the page / site as this is also an indication of how good the site is.
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    I disagree - you want someone to click on the "contact us" link, surely?! ;)

No!!

You want your contact details to be on your homepage so they don't have to!
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    Thanks Dean. I don' t think there is anything wrong with my site but it is fairly new. I come across the term on google analytics and wondered how significant it was.
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    What's your web address?

I'll let you know what I think. If you want to watch a really good webinar on how to create an EFFECTIVE website then google Academy for Growth. Well worth watching.

I'm going to ditch my 'pretty' website for one that actually makes me money.
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    These days it is worth considering how you website will look on smart phones / tablet devices.

So nothing too wordy; keep things short, simple and to the point.
  • esimps
    esimps Registered Posts: 15 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Do you have a blog on your site? If not then this might be an option to reduce your bounce rate. If you write interesting and engaging content then visitors to your site might remain on your site for longer.
  • Cisowianka
    Cisowianka Registered Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    Options
Privacy Policy