Calling all Sage experts

Lindylou
Lindylou Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
Ok here's the thing.
Transactions posted from 1.04.11 to present. Year end is 31.03.12. No month or year ends as yet.
System started from scratch so took a while to get system set up & all the transactions posted - meanwhile life continued.
VAT reconciled for June 11 qtr under standard scheme. It's necessary to move to cash accounting from 1.07.11.
Sage won't allow this because of unreconciled items - ie all VAT transacs from 1.7.11 onwards.
Any suggestions for the most efficient way to do this? All VAT returns submitted to HMRC. Just Sage that needs to come in line.
My idea would be to change VAT codes so that all from 1.7.11 will not be picked up on the return. Reconcile all transacs to 30.06.11 under old codes.
Change to cash accounting & prepare subsequent returns based on the new VAT codes. In my head that works - but I am a little nervous to say the least!:ohmy:
What do you think?

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Lindylou wrote: »
    Ok here's the thing.
    Transactions posted from 1.04.11 to present. Year end is 31.03.12. No month or year ends as yet.
    System started from scratch so took a while to get system set up & all the transactions posted - meanwhile life continued.
    VAT reconciled for June 11 qtr under standard scheme. It's necessary to move to cash accounting from 1.07.11.
    Sage won't allow this because of unreconciled items - ie all VAT transacs from 1.7.11 onwards.
    Any suggestions for the most efficient way to do this? All VAT returns submitted to HMRC. Just Sage that needs to come in line.
    My idea would be to change VAT codes so that all from 1.7.11 will not be picked up on the return. Reconcile all transacs to 30.06.11 under old codes.
    Change to cash accounting & prepare subsequent returns based on the new VAT codes. In my head that works - but I am a little nervous to say the least!:ohmy:
    What do you think?

I'm sure I've done something similar to this but it could have been the other way round, ie from cash to standard accounting. From memory what I did was do the VAT return again to 30.06.11 so that it picks up all the unreconciled items, print it out and then manually add on what needs to be added on to the next return. Once you've reconciled 30.06.11 you should be able to swap over to cash accounting.
  • peaman
    peaman Registered Posts: 123 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have done this several times, both directions, standard to cash and cash to standard. It was a bit of a pain.

See link - http://ava.co.uk/support/faq/avapa/sage-instant-accounts/how-do-i-change-from-standard-vat-to-cash-accounting.aspx

Their solution appears a lot simpler than the way I did it, but it might be worth taking a backup then giving it a try.

It is for Sage Instant, but the principles should be the same.
  • Lindylou
    Thank you so much for this. Have looked at the link & yes I think it could work. The problem is totally the transactions that have already been entered past the reconciled date. If it would let me re -reconcile then that would seem to be a solution. I will let you know!!!
  • Lindylou
    Hi thank you for this. I can see what you mean but the problem I think is about all the transactions already posted after 30.6.11, cos it sees them as unreconciled. As far as I can see all the transactions up to 30.6.11 have been reconciled.
  • peaman
    peaman Registered Posts: 123 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You state that only the 30.06.11 quarter was reconciled, but all VAT returns have been submitted. How were the rest of the VAT returns prepared. Were they run on Sage using standard VAT, but just not reconciled?
Privacy Policy