Help & advise please - Business Tax as an additional module

Options
Sulew17
Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
My college doesn't give us the option to take BTX - only PTX and Credit Management. As I want to work in tax (and hopefully do ATT after I finish level 4) I want to take BTX as an extra at the end of the year when I have finished PTX.

My question is this: should I enrol with one of the home study companies or would I be able to learn enough from the tutorial books plus what I've learned from PTX to self study without having to enrol for just one module?

My college tutor has told me I can take the CBA at college which is a big plus!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Su

Comments

• CHES&STAFF01
    CHES&STAFF01 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    When I studied my final level, our college did the same (Credit Mgmt & PTX). One of the students in the class didn't sit Credit Mgmt and instead travelled to another college to sit BTX and did PTX with the rest of us.

Depending on your situation (apprenticeship etc) maybe discussing the idea of going to another centre for BTX would help?

I asked about BTX as opposed to PTX and the student doing both did say there was quite a bit of cross over. You could also borrow a textbook for BTX and compare it to what you know from PTX to help make your decision.

Good luck!
  • Sulew17
    Options
    Unfortunately, all the local colleges are now only doing PTX! I had looked at going to another college because, originally, they were doing both but then decided to follow everyone else and only do PTX. There are five colleges within about 20 miles of where I live and they all do the same!

Thanks anyway.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    My college doesn't give us the option to take BTX - only PTX and Credit Management. As I want to work in tax (and hopefully do ATT after I finish level 4) I want to take BTX as an extra at the end of the year when I have finished PTX.

My question is this: should I enrol with one of the home study companies or would I be able to learn enough from the tutorial books plus what I've learned from PTX to self study without having to enrol for just one module?

My college tutor has told me I can take the CBA at college which is a big plus!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Su

Hello Su

You could obtain the BPP book and have a look through to see if you could self teach. Don't forget lots of people on the forum more than happy to help. Another option would be to consider distance learning/online classroom with BPP, Kaplan etc.

Good news that your tutor has agreed for you to sit the CBA there.

Good luck with your decision - I think BTX is an excellent module to study.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I'm meant to be self studying BTX and my motivation has gone out of the window of late :) Perhaps we should buddy up and work through it together ! I'm using Osborne FA11 though.
  • Sulew17
    Options
    Thanks Jo.

Ceris - am using Osborne for everything else so might as well use it for BTX as well. We're doing FA11/12 for PTX so will probably do the same for BTX. Am planning on starting straight after I take the BTX CBA - end Nov I think. I'm amazed you find the time for studying with everything else you do! Would be happy to buddy up if we can!
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I self studied business tax and found it ok, and it does seem to build on PTX so it helps that you've done that.

Also, if you still take the other options at college the pressure is off to pass this one!

Good luck!
  • Sulew17
    Options
    Also, if you still take the other options at college the pressure is off to pass this one!

Good luck!

Thanks Sarah, but since I really want BTX I'm putting even more pressure on myself!

How are you finding ATT?
Privacy Policy