HMRC Toolkits - are you aware of them?

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi all

Just a quick heads up to those who don't already know:

HMRC now offer Toolkits to Agents to assist with preparing tax returns. These can be really good in proving "due care" etc under the new penalty regime, and they also have checklists in them.

You can find all the toolkits here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/prereturn-support-agents.htm

They are actually pretty good - but remember they are prepared by the revenue so will be slanted in their favour, so if your knowledge/ gut instinct doesn't agree, then go back to the law/guidance (e.g. CCH Online available through MyAAT for MIPs) and check it out.

Edited to add: these might really help newer MIPs who would be glad of a helping hand as they get used to the procedure for preparing tax returns on their own :)

Saying that, if more experienced MIPs don't have checklists in place, these are a good place to start.

Comments

• stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    They've been on my radar for a while now without using them on a regular basis. I really like what I see so far and would like to fit them into my processed to use often.

Looks like HMRC are not always that bad!
  • Antoinnette
    Antoinnette Registered Posts: 118 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I have found the HMRC toolkits invaluable....i tick off everything before I file the returns.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I've started using Capsule CRM to manage all our work, and I have added 'review toolkits' into the accounts prep task list so no-one can forget about them.

They are all downloadable as a PDF and so they are just sitting in our server.

Glad to hear others like them too :)
Privacy Policy