att personal tax

Options
Just started to look at personal tax for att and just looked at some old papers..................aat personal tax really helped NOT..................such a wide gap naughty aat.

Comments

• BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    .. don't say that! I'm starting tomorrow!!

Good luck!

B x
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    Options
    BeccaLou you will be ok, plenty of time until May............and you will be a personal tax whizz.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I've got my ATT ptax exam on the 06/11/2012.

I've really enjoyed studying for it because the information is very interesting, e.g. investment opportunities, shares, non-doms, basic tax planning, etc.

I'll probably never use a lot of the stuff I'm learning ever again but at least I know about it/know to look out for it.

AAT should seriously consider beefing up their personal tax exams to include issues like age allowances, furnished holiday lettings, termination payments, pension schemes, residency, foreign income, remittance basis, double tax, basic tax planning, and probably a bit on the legislation.

All the other stuff on the ATT re: leases, EIS, VCT, SIPs, company share option schemes, takeovers, deceased estates, etc is probably a bit much for AAT level 4.

Good luck with you studies.
  • business_connex4u
    business_connex4u Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Took Personal Tax yesterday. Did a lot of revision. Found it very easy. Lets hope I dont regret saying that in 6 weeks. But like all the other subjects, if you work hard you do well.
  • villapb
    Options
    Hi reader good luck nov, can i get in touch after to see how It compared to past papers, many thanks
  • stevo5678
    stevo5678 Registered Posts: 325
    Options
    I passed personal and adv corp tax from May. Very impressed with the content, different beast to aat tax. I have the 2 e assessments to sit in 3 weeks!
  • reader
    Options
    Hi reader good luck nov, can i get in touch after to see how It compared to past papers, many thanks

No problem- I'll get a thread going after my exam
  • reader
    Options
    I passed personal and adv corp tax from May. Very impressed with the content, different beast to aat tax. I have the 2 e assessments to sit in 3 weeks!

Congratulations- did you use the legislation much during the exam?
  • stevo5678
    Options
    I did and think that it can be very helpful if you learn how to use it before hand.

However I didn't actually need it much in the final thing. I would learn how to use it but don't get too bogged down depending on it as it's not essential (but can be very helpful).

I'm glad I learned how to use it though as I feel alot more professional for understanding it all!
  • villapb
    Options
    hi Stevo just looked at the May 2012 past papers thye looked pretty easy tbh.....................lol only kidding well done by the way.................envious
  • stevo5678
    Options
    hi Stevo just looked at the May 2012 past papers thye looked pretty easy tbh.....................lol only kidding well done by the way.................envious

LOL

Past papers always look easier than shi**ing yourself doing the real thing with time pressure!

I always get that feeling when I'm doing an exam thinking 'I'm sure all the past papers I done were'nt as hard as this'!

I felt like I prepared harder than I needed in the end but better that way round!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Why should AAT beef up their tax content?

It's like asking ATT to do the same for their accounting content.
  • reader
    Options
    Why should AAT beef up their tax content?

It's like asking ATT to do the same for their accounting content.

Personally I feel that AAT PTax is the smallest exam at level 4 (not as large and troublesome as drafting financial statements, financial performance, business tax, project, etc).

Also, personally, I feel the aat ptax exam is a bit light on age allowances, furnished holiday lettings, termination payments, pension schemes, residency, foreign income, remittance basis, double tax, basic tax planning, and probably a bit on the legislation (which I think are issues that an AAT should learn and know about).

It is only my personal opinion (which is biased as I'm coming from this as someone from practice) and I'm sure a management accountant trainee probably thinks that there's too much tax in aat!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I'm probably going to upset a few people here by saying I've actually been really disappointed with ATT personal tax, I don't feel I've learnt much more than I already knew.
  • villapb
    Options
    Hi Guys and Gals, did any of you buy the essential accounting book form att, just wondered if its needed ????
  • reader
    Options
    Hi Guys and Gals, did any of you buy the essential accounting book form att, just wondered if its needed ????

No, I didn't buy it.

I don't think AATs would need to buy it as we have already studied accounting.
  • reader
    Options

Personal tax down- 3 more to go! Law in Jan 2013, Ethics in Feb 2013 and Business Compliance in May 2013.

The exam was very easy (I put loads of revision in though) and topics that weren't tested in the previous past paper were tested in today's paper.

I didn't even bring the legislation to the exam; I think the legislation is a waste of time at ATT. I think it's more useful for CTA exams.
  • deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Reader,
    I had ATT personal tax today as well in Southampton, where I bumped into AnnieM!!! Hi Annie, thanks for the Alpen bar!!!!

Where did you do your exam, Reader? I have Corporate Taxation tomorrow morning!!
    I must say though that i found my legislation books a great help.

Deborah
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I did PTX today too, and I found it a nicer paper than expected, it didn't seem to test a lot of big topics though!

I also found the legislation to be really useful, a great help in finding conditions and definitions. I wasn't really a fan of legislation until today either, lugging it around on the train put me off!

Now just a really long wait til results!
  • reader
    Options
    Hi Reader,
    I had ATT personal tax today as well in Southampton, where I bumped into AnnieM!!! Hi Annie, thanks for the Alpen bar!!!!

Where did you do your exam, Reader? I have Corporate Taxation tomorrow morning!!
    I must say though that i found my legislation books a great help.

Deborah

London (there was around 350 of us).

I don't know how people manage to do 2/3 exams per sitting; very impressive!

I probably would have found the legislation useful if I had bothered to use it during revision but I never really opened it so didn't think there was any point bringing it to exams. I'll try and make amends when I do business compliance in May 2013. I hate waiting for results (only 2.5 months left).

Good luck with corporation tax!
  • deborahcarpenter
    Options
    there werent that many at our exam probably about 100 tops. It was at Southampton Football Club which was a nice setting, didnt see any hunky footballers though!! lol.

Just want to get tomorrow out the way then i just have the 2 e assessments to do.

Good luck with your next exam too!
  • reader
    Options
    there werent that many at our exam probably about 100 tops. It was at Southampton Football Club which was a nice setting, didnt see any hunky footballers though!! lol.

Just want to get tomorrow out the way then i just have the 2 e assessments to do.

Good luck with your next exam too!

CTA afterwards?
  • deborahcarpenter
    Options
    Hi reader,

Yes i think i will continue onto CTA. Might as well keep going. Not getting any younger (42) lol.

I found ATT quite easy, i felt it was a natural progression from AAT business and personal tax modules although it covers things in a lot more detail and things that werent covered at AAT level.

Role on Jaunary for the results. At least i can get my life back for a few months while i wait!!!!
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi folks

I was quite surprised at the content of yesterday's paper, I had anticipated quite different content balance.

It was great to meet Deborah though; I looked at your profile and see you are a runner too! I took up running in August, 2 weeks after coming of crutches following 2nd hip replacement this year and am completely hooked on running. Mastered 5k in the last couple of weeks too.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • deborahcarpenter
    Options
    Hey Annie,

Good for you on the 5k. Im in training for a 10k run next May in Bognor !!! I am hooked too!!

Must be mad. But I agree that yesterdays paper was nothing like the past papers on ATT website.

Debs
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Well done everyone who's done exams!

I found the legislation as godsend; I would definitely have failed without it - but my revision/ study relied on me using it.

I took mine at Southampton FC too, it's a decent venue.

Annie, you're nuts! Well done, that's amazing!!!! And Debs, 10k? Also nuts!!

Well done all :)
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I thought Southampton FC could have been better quite honestly; there wasn't even a machine for a cup of coffee which, when you consider how far people have to travel for an exam, is a bit, well VERY THOUGHTLESS.

It had actually crossed my mind to mention it to ATT as I don't suppose they even realise!

On the positive the car parking was good and they validated our car park tickets so we didn't have to pay, but then when you consider it's ยฃ110 to take the exam it's nice to know that car parking is included.

Just my thoughts :001_smile:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Lol, it would appear there were a lot of MAAT taking their ATT personal tax last Tuesday, I sat mine in Birmingham.

I would agree it was a fair paper, the legislation is useful but only if you have spent time pre exam getting to know how to use it.

With respects to the AAT personal tax, it scrapes the very surface of what there is to know....

I too am going on to CTA :001_smile:
Privacy Policy