How to become an AAT Tutor

Options
Mollypod88
Mollypod88 Registered Posts: 155 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to become an AAT Tutor?

I know you need an teaching qualification however I'm not sure if this is suppose to be a PGCE (the AAT isn't a degree?)

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Emma

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi All,

Does anyone know how to become an AAT Tutor?

I know you need an teaching qualification however I'm not sure if this is suppose to be a PGCE (the AAT isn't a degree?)

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Emma

Hello Emma

Using the link below you will find details and additional links for guidance/information. You will need to login to your MyAAT account.

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/content/item6596/

JC:o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Mollypod88
    Options
    Hi Jo,

Thanks for this info ... I hadn't seen it before :001_smile:

One thing I’m struggling with it how to get a teaching qualification and can’t seem to find this anywhere!
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Hello Emma

I had thought about teaching the AAT when I was studying level 4 so had already done a little research into adult ed teaching. I think it all depends where you are going to teach AAT as some of the places on the web page via the link I sent say you don't need a teaching qualification...

On the link I sent you, the qualifications mentioned by Babington College are A1/PTTLS/V1 qualified would be preferred, however where not, then commitment to achieve is essential. (I think you can do this whilst working), whilst Home Learning College state teaching qualifications will be highly desirable although not a prerequisite.

If you are going to be teaching adults, which I guess most people studying AAT would be then you may find that you can study a course to enable you to teach in the lifelong learning sector. The courses I am thinking about are CTTLS/PTTLS and then DTTLS (PTTLS already mentioned above). You may find that your local FE College or Adult Education Centre offer these.

Hope this helps you.

JC :)
    Benjamin Franklin
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    tutoring

I currently lecture levels 2 &3 for aat and am studying for PTLLS with hopes to move on to my PGCE (or DTLLS) afterwards. So far PTLLS has really helped!
  • Mollypod88
    Options
    ademoore wrote: Β»
    I currently lecture levels 2 &3 for aat and am studying for PTLLS with hopes to move on to my PGCE (or DTLLS) afterwards. So far PTLLS has really helped!

This is great thank you! Do you need a teaching job to study for PTLLS? I'm currently working as AP but really enjoy teaching. I'm trying to work out how I could become a tutor ...
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    I don't think you need a teaching job for PTLLS but perhaps ademoore is better placed to answer this than I am.

I do recall being told by my local adult ed centre that I would be teaching small groups at the PTLLS class, however this was a while ago when I looked into it. I think when you move onto DTLLS you have to teach for a set number of hours as part of the course, again ademoore will probably be better placed in answering this.

Good luck and go for it!

JC :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • ademoore
    Options
    You dont actually need to be teaching in order to complete PTLLs, in fact a lot of the people in my pttls class are not teaching. You have to be assessed teaching, so you choose to do a micro teach in front of your peers, related to your subject and lasts 30 mins. A benefit being that your peers want you to pass so will encourage in a positive way.

I became tutor by sending my cv to my local college explaining that i was interested in teaching aat, i got asked to go in, and here i am teaching. Its been a challenge, but in a very positive way!
  • Mollypod88
    Options
    Thanks girls this is great!

Ademoore - what training provider have you used for PTLLS? I will probably need to do mine distance learning. I've had alook and there are a few around my area. I would need to go in for the day to complete the micro teach. I think I should start with Level 3 and then do Level 4 as I have no teaching experience.

Hopefully by having this QCF I will be able to get my foot in the door. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
  • Mollypod88
    Options
    Also what is the difference between PTLLS and DTLLS?
  • Mollypod88
    Options
    Well it's not going well ... no one wants me as I don't have an teaching experience!
  • ademoore
    Options
    I've been very lucky in honesty, the college that I lecture for are paying for my PTLLS course - unfortunately for me, I lecture all day Wed and then have to do the course in the same evening, so it makes for a very long day on a Wednesday!

PTLLS is preparing to teach adults basically, so over about the age of 14 (although it escapes me how suddenly a 14 year old is classed as an adult!). DTLLS is basically the PGCE and allows you to teach all ages. You can go straight to DTLLS or if you do PTLLS, it does count towards your DTLLS course too.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I am an AAT tutor for level 2. I work for my local adult education centre. They put me through PTLLS.
Privacy Policy