Self assessment and job seekers benefit

Options
emma1801
emma1801 Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
HI

Can some one please help me.

My Client has had a joint job seekers benefit claim throughout the tax year as well as being Self employed.

When entering the total amount of benefits ie: Job Seekers claimed for the tax year on the Self assessment does the total benefits figure need entering or should it be adjusted due to a joint claim of benefits.

Thanks

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    emma1801 wrote: »
    HI

Can some one please help me.

My Client has had a joint job seekers benefit claim throughout the tax year as well as being Self employed.

When entering the total amount of benefits ie: Job Seekers claimed for the tax year on the Self assessment does the total benefits figure need entering or should it be adjusted due to a joint claim of benefits.

Thanks

I know nothing about this so could be completely wrong but how can he claim job seekers whilst being self employed?
  • emma1801
    Options
    He received work through various agencies and contractors but when out of work was able to claim Job Seekers / ESA benefits, it was for a few months of the year.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    This is quite common for self-employed people to claim JSA when no work on. However, as for a joint claim, I think you need to check with HMRC on this. Sorry can't help.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Last I checked (a very long time ago) I believe the income was deemed to belong to the primary partner on the claim. However, this seem ludicrous. I would split it in half, but whether that's right or not, I have no idea.
  • Simmyluvsu
    Simmyluvsu Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    From every tax return I've done with JSA, the person had received a P60/P45 to say how much they'd received?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    That sounds sensible to me. The person receiving the P45/P60 with the amounts deducted would be the 'taxable person'.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    They issue P45s when a claim ends, but I've never seen a P60 from JSA.
  • emma1801
    Options
    Spoke to HMRC and the partner receiving the benefit has to declare on his/her Self Assessment.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    emma1801 wrote: »
    Spoke to HMRC and the partner receiving the benefit has to declare on his/her Self Assessment.

That's idiotic.
Privacy Policy