ICAS again - Accounting Software comparision

Options
Whirlwind
Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi guys,

Yeap its me again!!

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can look/research for a comparison of accounting software? I have been on the internet all day and my brain/eyes ache!! Found interesting chart on wikipedia but not sure how reliable it is. Think the research is the worse bit for me!!

My tutor has suggested that I need to create an appendix (word count issues already) with details of at least 3 types of software comparisons. This is under section 6 'accounts receivable system' where I list the SWOT of the company and my main suggestion is to upgrade computer system.

I was planning to use SAGE 300, Xero, IRIS, as these are the packages my colleague suggested. Obviously I will be going into more details under the CBA section. But I am finding it hard to find an official list of what they offer- need an accounting package that is specific to retail really.

Halfway makes me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hello Whirlwind

I had the same suggestion from my tutor when I recommended a piece of software. I had to research at least three packages and detail the advantages and disadvantages for each. I did a simple table and included this as an appendix and made reference to the appendix in the main body of the report.

If you visit the websites for SAGE, Xero and IRIS they should have a write up on each package and possibly customer feedback. Using this you should be able to compile a table of advantages/disadvantages. I could say more about what to include but will let you think about it first :001_tongue:

Shout if you need any further help or contact your tutor.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Options
    Hey Jo,

That's what I started to create last night (the type of chart I use when comparing mobile phones) so its soooo good to know I am on the right track!! Also great to know that your tutor had you do the same.

I am finding that its only with hindsight that I can see what goes where. For example, now I am reading through section 7(fraud) & 8 (CBA), I can see that I obviously need to make references to the choices on the market in my recommendations for the system.

Thanks again for your constant support!!
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You're most welcome! Keep at it and your report will be completed and signed off before Christmas :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Options
    You're most welcome! Keep at it and your report will be completed and signed off before Christmas :o

Hey guess what ... tutor says I can upload 1st draft (whole month before deadline) so you may be right I may be all done before end of the year!!

Got myself a library book as celebration - I can read just for pleasure now!!
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks reading for pleasure is a luxury now :) wait till you move onto the chartered studies it gets a super duper luxury then lol. Good luck with your report. Be careful with all them library books it gets addictive and its hard to go back to studies after!
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Options
    Never mind the books,i had to stop playing online poker to concentrate on my ICAS project and i am still playing online backgammon.
    I still enjoy a game of bridge though,but then been playing for over 30yrs and i am a grandmaster.
    Just posted my project plan to my tutor,first one,not sure what happens next.
  • Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If it's owt like my plan submission Omega, you wait and wait and wait and wait...........................................

lol
  • Whirlwind
    Options
    *Jo wrote: ยป
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks reading for pleasure is a luxury now :) wait till you move onto the chartered studies it gets a super duper luxury then lol. Good luck with your report. Be careful with all them library books it gets addictive and its hard to go back to studies after!

Chartered studies ... what you trying to do - kill me!?!?!

My plan was only to do API, APII & FNST then got abit carried away!! Ask me again in a year, I should have had my fill of books by then and probably redecorated every part of our flat - so may have the space mentally to deal with it!!
  • FoxyGirl
    FoxyGirl Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Software comparison

Hi My BPP Tutor is great - bless her. She offered me this format for the comparison and made my life easy:
    Appendix XX โ€“ Review of Accounting Packages
    There are several accounting packages that XYW could purchase to improve the controls within the organisation. A few of the options are reviewed below.
    Accounting Package Description Features Advantages Disadvantages Cost
    ยฃ
    TYPE A

Cost:
    TYPE B

Cost:
    TYPE C

Cost

Overall review
    Given the information above, the most ideal system for XYW is โ€ฆ. The reasons why this accounting package is recommended are:
    โ€ข Reason 1
    โ€ข Reason 2
    โ€ข Reason 3

good luck!
  • Whirlwind
    Options
    Thanks FoxyGirl!

Fortunately my tutor signed off on the one I did - uploading 1st draft this wk, end is sooooo in sight!
Privacy Policy